What basses can "P" like a P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Dec 25, 2002.

1. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    What bass can match the P-Bass in sound and power without being a P-bass or PJ-bass? My Benavente gets that low, but is much too focused. Word is that Roscoe comes close? What about F-Bass? Or is there nothing like the real thing?
  2. Depends, if you want a genuine P-bass sound, you'd probably want to go with a P-bass. It'd probably be cheaper, especially compared to a Roscoe and an F-Bass, why do you want to avoid getting a P?

As for coming close, the G&L L-2000 is said to be incredibly versatile, you could probably get suitably close the sound if you wanted something that was more than a "one-trick pony" so to speak.
  3. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I have a Lakland USA Glaub P-bass with rosewood fretboard. And yes, it does one heck of a trick! It does it so well, that I might keep it just for that one trick. I'm thinking about selling it, but I must replace it with a bass that can nail the "P" and then some. If not, I'll just have to keep it or maybe get a PJ bass. Ever seen a P-MM Bass?

4. http://www.fender.com/gear/gear.php?partno=0195262

That's about as close as you're going to get without going to Warmouth. Try a G&L L-2000, see if it's close enough for you.

Unfortunately sound is subjective, so I don't know what characteristics of the P sound you want. But the L-2000 can be pretty convincing, I'm not sure about anything else.
  5. gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Try the G&L SB-1 (P pup) or G&L SB-2 (PJ setup)

6. if you want a p-bass sound,stop foolin around and get a p-bass already:D ..it has the authentic p-bass sound,really...we would'nt lie to you..BTW the new USA p-basses are just as nice as any of the basses your intrested in and they're priced aprox. the same..or less, and you would have the genuine article:)
  7. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I recently acquired a G&L ASAT (same p'up/electronics config as L2000 series), and just last night I was marvelling at how close to an accurate P tone it was providing.

I'd heard how these things were really versatile, but wanted to see for myself, so I snagged a used ASAT. It really does have some incredible tones!
    I think the 'J' tone is also very convincing. I haven't coaxed my MM tone out of it yet, but they say it's in there...

They're not that expensive, very sturdy, and really do have that 'everything good about Fenders' kind of vibe. I'm really happy with this one.

My F is fretless, I don't find it to sound that P-ish to me. I don't recall the fretted F I played sounding too P-esque either, but dang if they don't nail the J-thing!
  8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

This one will actually sound like a PBass, a JBass, a Rick, an acoustic....

Seriously, even when I just use the neck mag pickup soloed, with a slight bass bump, and low mid cut, this bass sounds surprisingly P like. I guess with the split coil pickup angled like that, it approximates the location of the P pickup pretty well.

Even though I can get a sound that you couldn't differentiate from a PBass, I still plan to buy an old PBass as one of the last two basses I plan to acquire (no,seriously).

Alot of basses can sound like a PBass, but a PBass has its own special mojo, and that counts for a lot, IMHO.
  9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Maybe my opinion is biased since I recently got a fabulous P, but I believe only a genuine P can have the sound and feel of a P...
  10. The old G&L L-1000 do an accurate job of p-bassing, and then some. You can actually make them thump harder, and sound more agressive if you like, or tone them down below a p-bass tone. The pickup is in the right position. Mine is the 80 model with the slot screw pickup, and hotter pickup. It's like a p-bass on steroids.
  11. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer

Jul 14, 2002
    Aurora, CO
    Excluding more expensive basses, the closest to a P-Bass I've found are the old G&L L1000's. I have owned 2 of them in the past and sold them after finding a nice '66 P-Bass. Yes, I like the tone of the '66 P-Bass better, but the L1000s were as close to a vintage P-Bass tone as I've heard on any bass that can be purchased for under $1000. Obviously, all of the L1000s will be used, since they haven't been made for a while. I will add that I'm sorry that I sold one of those L1000s. They do have more tonal range than a P-Bass. By the way, I have tried a number of the newer Fender P-Basses and none sounded like a vintage one or as good as the L1000s do......in my opinion!
  12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    My Roscoe Beck comes pretty close to a P-bass sound..........but I do agree, if you really want a P-bass you might as well get a P-bass;)
  13. FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    I think the Mustang gets pretty close and it's a hell of a lot lighter!
  14. what's not to like about the bob glaub p bass you already own? does it not work in a band situation like a regular ol fender p would?
  15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Another vote for G&L.

16. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina

- The Bob Glaub that I have is a monster of a bass. I'm not pressed to sell it but I wanted to get expert advice on getting a bass that could nail the "P" sound/power and, at the flip of a switch, give me some other sounds [like slap] without have to change basses.

- I limited myself to four basses, so 1 or 2 will have to go. This being the case, it's best that each bass be capable of more than one trick. But, if there is no bass that can emulate a P-bass at 98% or better, I'll have to keep my Glaub and maybe raise the limit to five. ;)

17. yeah, versatility is never a bad thing. :)

i've never tried a roscoe, but i've played a few L2000's and they can get some mighty thick sounding tones. the slap tones aren't too bad either!

and something i haven't seen mentioned.. my stingray 5 in series mode with the bass and mids boosted some can kind of emulate the thickness of a p, but all of the thump is missing! so the search continues..

personally, i would love to try a roscoe just to see what all the fuss is about. they've got a couple f basses at a local shop down here, and while they're totally sweet basses, they don't exactly scream p-bass to me. nice though! if i didn't already own so many basses with their own take on a jazz, i would definately get an f bass.
  18. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Just get a Fender P.. Thats better than spending $2000-3000 for a P sound when u can get a Fender P :p

19. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    being a Precision lover i say G&L L2000.

i own a P and a L2000 and i can say that the L2000 is capable of a great P bass sound.
  20. riverbush

Jun 30, 2002
    I just picked up a Fender Custom Shop Reggie Hamilton 4 String Jazz bass..

The "p" pup in passive mode does the pbass sound very, very good, at least to my ears