Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What basses did Juan Nelson play on "fight for your mind"?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pickles, Jan 31, 2006.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I thought it was an MTD, but somebody told me it was a spector? I've tried seaching but havn't turned anything up. I'm interested in the whole album, but especially the title track. Easily one of the best tones ever committed to tape.

2. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    From the pictures on the album, he's playing an MTD...
    sounds like one too... (I could be wrong of course!)

3. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    On the title track he plays a five string spector with a piezo pickup.

4. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'm curious how you know this ... I havn't been able to turn up anything with google. Link to an article?

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The live show I have of theirs he is playing a Fender CS Jazz. I dont know what he played in the studio, but here is a great live version played on the Fender.

(I've posted this before)

http://www.synmicro.com/prod/itempics/personal/dave/fight.mp3

Not only is the tone awesome, but prolly one of my fav bass solo's of all time...

6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That link just made my day! Holy moly.

My band plays that song live ... but we somehow missed the 6 minute bass solo at the end :eek: :bassist:

That fender sounds great!

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

Ya I cant even listen to the album version anymore, it feels like its missing all its juice hehe.

8. Yeah, Juan Nelson and Melvin Davis (on Lee Ritnour's Overtime disc) have completely convinced me that a Fender Jazz Deluxe can absolutely smoke.

I would love to know what octave pedal he is using during the solo, and I love the part where he goes into the last section of "The Jam" by Graham Central Station.

There was a great story in Bass Player a few years ago about Ben buying the MTD for Juan. Touching.

9. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    So Juan's bass is from the custom shop, but is it just a Jazz Deluxe that was given extra attention, or is it different somehow? What pickups are in it?

10. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  11. I'm not sure it's off the shelf. It has blocks.

12. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yeah the block markers and the tuners all on one side made me think Custom Shop originally. All the block inlay Jazz's seem to be 4+1, and all the inline ones dont have blocks, so not really sure.

13. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    It's definitely a CS made around 2000-01 before Fender went with the 4+1 headstock. I believe it's part of the Custom Classic line of which I have one, a 5 string just like his only a different color. Of all the high end basses I've owned my CS has the most satifying tone and playability. Juan's pups and the one's in mine are CS Noiseless, different than any other noiseless that Fender has made.

14. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    On the ldld forum there was a member who I believed owned this same bass for a short time, his posts led me to that fact.

15. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Cool, thanks.

16. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    My final conclusion is that we could give Juan Nelson a beat-up Rogue and he would sound unbelievable. The man can PLAY! His slap is always funky, and he is great down on the low B.

17. I still miss his MTD... check out the Pleasure and Pain DVD...mmmm MTD all the way!!!

18. ZenMoto

ZenMoto

Feb 9, 2006
    Motor City USA
    That dude has it going on...No matter what he plays...Saw him with Ben a couple of times and he made the show for me.

19. Shamon

Shamon

Apr 6, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Fight For Your Mind is an (spector) SSD NS-5P #99. In my hands now.

And it is an amazing bass!

I bought it without even playing it because I knew that album so well and loved his sound... although I could never get my head around why he changed to MTD. In my opinion, just never sounded as good. So when I heard this was Juan's old bass there was zero hesitation and it has been my main bass ever since.

I love bass in your face in recordings and 'Fight For Your Mind' was definitely one of those albums.

20. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    That's an awesome score ... post pics!!!

I've been getting sounds on that same page from my Sadowsky Modern 5-24 lately.