1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Basses do TBers Tend To Keep Long Term? I.E. Not Flipped/Sold Constantly...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baird6869, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Just curious as to your thoughts as to which brands and/or models don't get sold as often as others. Not talking crazy rare boutiques, but which basses tend to be held on to and not constantly flipped?

There are Foderas in the classifieds, tons of Fenders... but also Roscoes, Smiths, Spectors, etc.

Are there certain brands (that are actually sold in numbers) that rarely seem to surface for sale used?

IMO, the Modulus Sweetspot basses don't seem to show up for sale often, but that may be because total production numbers are fairly light.

Thoughts?

2. I predict a variety- I went through a lot before ending up w/several *keepers* which are not all high-end or really all that special, they just work for me.

3. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    Carvin and Guild

4. Mothman

5. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I don't see many of the good graphite necked basses come up for sale often. Modulus, Status, Steinberger, etc...

After discovering graphite necks, I think I know why. "Once you go black...."

6. I don't see alot of Jerzy Drozd or Wal come up for sale.

I also don't see TOO much alembic either. They've been around since the 70's so there are a fair number of them out there, but they don't hold their value super well. Seems like people hang on to them.

7. JBFLA

JBFLA Roscoe FANatic

Apr 8, 2003
    Jupiter FLA
    I think the Leo era Music Man basses tend to stay. Don't see many for sale - I've had mine since '84 and my daughter has told me she would disown me if I ever sold it. It's seen it's share of work and road - not pretty by any means - but sounds as good as the day I bought it.

8. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    I don't see a lot of Alembic hitting the used market, which is a shame because that's probably the only way I'd ever be able to afford one for myself.

9. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i'm gonna guess here, but it seems that per capita, "custom built" boutique basses would be high on that list.:)

BUT,...
    a picky buyer will quickly sell a special order that doesn't meet expectations. subsequent buyers/owners may also be miffed by slight or blatant adjustments desired by the original owner.

string spacing, scale length, tone, etc all contribute!:( as far as brand is concerned,... any and all are subject.

10. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Wal

11. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Rickenbackers are not often sold on TB, even after the GC discount orgy last year.

12. I was going to say that. It depends on how popular the bass is , there are a TON of fenders out there thus there will be a ton for sale.

13. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Deptford, NJ
    Fender Jazz MIA 2000.

14. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Wal, Status, Kawai

15. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    According to Murphy, its the *one* bass that you're really looking for.

Of course, when you cough up your lunch money for your second (or third) choice, that's when it will come up in the TB classifieds...

16. tsar nicholas

tsar nicholas

Mar 28, 2012
    Phoenix
    ^ Seriously, my Zon is coming with me to Tartarus

17. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I totally agree. My Modulus is going with me forever!

I'd love to get more graphite neck basses but they are pretty few and far between used.

18. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I'd love to find a Modulus M92-5 "Sweetspot". Like an idiot I sold mine a few years back and I've regretted it ever since. I don't often see one for sale.

19. Uhmm... Your very first bass? Normally just a pile of junk that won't sell anyway?

20. Shardik

Shardik

May 24, 2011
    Halden, Norway
    I am a low budget kind of guy and tend to search for a long time for "value for money" stuff before buying. Often my initial research works out.

So far I haven't sold my first bass, and I don't think I will. It is a Cort Artisan C4 2004 LTD. The all wenge neck is unusual and I love it. I have strung it with progressive tension strings, and for me it is a great allround bass that handles different playing styles, including slapping. Lately I have drop D tuned it, and it seems to handle that very well too. So far that has negated the need for a 5 string.
    The Cort Artisan C4 2004 LTD seem to pop up for sale from time to time, though, so I guess it is not perfect, just great value for money. It also looks like some Cort Curbow models are hard to come by, like the Cort Curbow 5 string fretless.

Having just one bass as a principle seems ridiculous to me. I am just a hobbyist player, and it is far between gigs, but I do prefer a backup. I went to a small concert once where the lead guitarist's stratocaster broke down in the first song. He didn't bring a backup, and they had to rearrange the entire set list and the guitarist had to borrow the singer's Les Paul. In the (extended) break, they drove to fetch another guitar to be able to complete the concert.

Right now I am doing some repair work on a pawnshop class frankenfretless (an Ibanez Roadster RS900) to get it up to playing speed again. Having a fretless seems a good choice for some of the songs we are playing, and with two basses I think I am covered if Murphy hits in one of our rare gigs.