What basses do you guys recommend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by metallicaorion, May 31, 2005.

1. metallicaorion

May 31, 2005
    Oswego IL

I just got a new behringer bx1200 so i am set for an amp now. i am playing a crappy $75 bass off ebay and i want to know what you guys are playing now. I have another pay check comming in the mail and graduation money comming on sunday. i am gona save up this winter if i dont have enought for what ever i dicide. i just want you guys imput. i'm likein fender p-bass and washburn t-14. any other suggestions? not a big fan of b.c.

2. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Price range? Style of music?
  3. metallicaorion

May 31, 2005
    Oswego IL
    400 or less and i play metal, alternative, punk, and ska. cheeper is better
  4. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hmm. Fender precision.
  5. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I am going to go out on a limb and say Fender Jazz (made in mexico) and order some better pickups and have them installed.

You can get a fender JAZZ MIM for under 400, and a set of pickups should not be more then 170.

However, you probably won't get much help from this forum! You are a newbie, and they often get chased away because newbies don't spend 18 hours doing searches! The old timers will pounce all over you like mud on a pig! :crying:
  6. Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    yamaha makes some pretty decent cheap stuff. A standard (mexican) fender bass should do the trick also.
  7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    new Yamahas series,amazing bass for the price BB414
  8. Ibanez ERGODYNE EDC700
    Usually on EBAY for 3-400
    One of the best all around basses.
    I have used them for metal/rock, funk/punk, blues and country.

Lots of boom, and great necks.
  9. metallicaorion

May 31, 2005
    Oswego IL
    Thanks i'm gona look into that. what do you guys think about the Ibanez Iceman? it played pretty good.... best bet is probly p-bass
  10. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    I have a MIJ Jazz in excellent condition, Badass bridge, seymours, with case, that I'd let go for $300 (plus shipping). It's a 1994, and I've owned it since new. No buzz on the neck. Have pics on request. Let me know.

11. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Fender Jazz or Precision, go out and find one you like and you'll never put it down. :bassist:
  12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Mmmm, that's a good deal. Seymours are really growly, aggressive sounding pickups, it'd be a good sound for harder rock/metal.*

*I fully realize they can do more than that, mostly because I've been using a Basslines equipped PJ for jazz and funk for the last year.
  13. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Man So far

Fender Jazz
    Fender Precision
    yamaha anything

And thats about it really.....
  14. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    ESP LTDs and Spector Professionals. Both quite nice and versitile for very little money.
  15. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  16. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    For that music you'll probably want a P bass rather than a J, more the sound that's usually associated with those styles. (I used to play in a ska band. loved the energy...)

My suggestion would be to go to the nearest large music store (NYC if you're anywhere nearby) and play everything they have in your price range. Buy the one that feels comfortable and sounds good to you. Everyone's looking for something different in a bass, so what works for them may not work for you. (Personally i hate ibanez's with a passion, and avoid yamaha's like the plague, but others swear by them.*shrug*)

Keep us posted, whatever you do. :bassist:

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I also don't like Ibanez's...it was my first bass and didn't stay with me too long...now I have a Yamaha 5 string...spent about $600 and have had it about 4 years. I still get compliments from audiences and fellow bassist's (probably because of the misconceived notions about Yamaha's). I figure, Nathan East is a bad mofo and he plays 'em.
  18. Just signed up 2 minutes ago. First post!! :hyper: Anyway, any Spector professional series or Ibanez SR series. I have played both repeatedly, and for the money you won't be able to find better versatility in an instrument.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Welcome to TB