Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What basses do you want to see made in the new year?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CYoung, Dec 14, 2001.

1. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Ok, here is the idea. Post some new bass ideas that you would like to see certain bass manufacturers produce in the next year or changes to existing models you would like to see.

Here is my list:
    1. Peavey G-Bass with 2 pickups and non-holoflake finish.
    2. Fender Jazz-style basses with no pick guards and solid wood bodies. I love the Fender sound, but the style is rather dated, IMHO.
    3. I would like to see all prices for basses from vendors include a gig bag or case. If I am paying $1k for a bass, it should include the case!

Your ideas?

2. As a fantasy, a 5 string Jack Casady would be nice, or a maybe a bass with a digital circuit in it that would really make it sound like ANY bass you wanted. Imagine: you flip a switch; A P-bass, then; A Jazz, then; Rickenbaker, Musicman, Alembic, et cetera... and all for only $299.00 ! (w/case) :D

Seriously though, what I would REALLY like to see is more basses available more readily, Example: one store or site that would stock Roscoe Beck 5s, Musicman in at least 10 colors, Zons, G&L, Something with that lightwave system in it, all under one roof ! I'm dreaming, aren't I? :confused:

Mike J.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Production-run Roscoe Beck 24-fret 6-string with flamed maple top and greenburst finish. The Custom Shop can probably do this now, but it'd cost $4000.

Single-cutaway Rob Allen. I like the Godin body shape.

I'd like to see more basses with the MM-J pickup combination, but with the J in the bridge position and the MM in the mid/neck position.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Hmm.. I like the idea of the bass with the digital circuit board in it... Or how about a neck with interchangable freboards.. fretless to fretted, maple to rosewood or ebony.. pau ferro.. that would be neat

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    A Lakland 6, and more American companies offering LED's. That way a company can't pay Martin Sims $450 for it, and turn around and charge you $1200.

6. ldiezman, that's an excellent idea!

Mike J.

7. jblake

jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    Yeah! The worlds first physical modeling bass. Hey they can do it on keyboards and Line6 can do it with the pod. You could download the bass modules for a small fee. Want a Wal? Plug your basses Ethernet jack into your computer download the Wal module (all wood combinations are modeled). Want a '60 Jazz? No problem.
    I always thought someone like Zeta should come out with an electric upright that could model the acoustics of a real upright. That would be the coolest thing ever. Dammit! I knew I should have stayed in engineering school!

8. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    someone already tried the interchangeable fretboard thing. i think it was novatone or something like that. in an old guitar player interview with john patitucci, he said he had that system installed on his 64 jazz to switch between fretless and fretted.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That's easy:

mine

:D

Wouldn't it be something if Carvin started offering Seymour Duncan pickups and electronics?

Or Lightwave pickups.

More basses with Lightwaves.

10. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    They actually make them with non-holoflake finishes. They have a really nice bright blue and a dark grey. Also, I think the LED's thing is what I would like to see too. I don't want to have to send my bass to England to get LED's. Also, I would like to see a less expensive Modulus 5-string model....

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the rickenbacker 4051.
    a 5 string version of the classic 4001 but with modern and improved pickups and electronics. two splittable humbucker, a bypassable active electronic with 3 band eq and 3 way mid selector. available both in neck thru and bolt on versions. by the way this is a short description of the custom bass i'm buylding by myself. mine will have a mahogany body with quilted maple top and back 9mm. bolt on maple neck with ebony fretboard.
    the bass in the picture but shaped as a rick, with no pickguard and no binding. can you imagine a mix between this picture and the second i'll post?

12. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    imagine the previous bass mixed with a single neck version of this beast.

13. :eek:

Modern.gif is INSANE - Nice geetar!

14. I want to see Lightwave come out with a pickup for 7+ string basses.

15. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Roscoe Beck 4 !!!

16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    A bass with some type of tubular rotating fretboard, like a gatlin gun. It could have twelve strings or so, piezo pickups. i guess you would need some type of apparatus to keep the neck from hitting your body though.

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That and a weight training program.:eek:

18. I think that it would be great if fender put some bridges on their basses that were not pieces of ****. That would make me very happy.

19. when u mentioned LED's are u on about flashing ones in the frettboard because i'm doing that for my electronics project in school and i thaught it was a really original idea!