What basses should I bring?!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Morris2103, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    It's not really gear snobbery. It's prejudice against Squier. And lots of people, sadly I must add, have it.

2. I wonder if it's less of a problem where the OP lives than a large city like New York City?

3. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Very wise to bring two basses.

Good luck with it.

4. RickyWoo

RickyWoo

May 26, 2016
    +1. Though you can learn SOME things, don't worry too much of what you've read. Bring your bass. Bring your chops.

Jhengsman likes this.
  5. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Do whatever it takes to let go of overthinking a problem like this. Reminder: You're there to play and have fun. If you can do that it's a win. If you actually do that and don't get selected, its often a blessing in disguise. Good luck and keep after hooking up with a good band.

6. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nobody has ever lost a gig by bringing a Fender. You can break out the other stuff later.

7. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Take only one bass and just focus on the material.

jazzyvee and Torrente Cro like this.
  8. Do not take the fretless.

Take two basses but don't make a big deal out of it. You want them to know it's there but don't bother taking it out and tuning, etc. You can be prepared but you don't want to appear pretentious. (Guitar players can bring fifty guitars but you let a bass player show up with two basses....).

Warranted or not "sticker ignorance" is a real thing but you can't do anything about other people's prejudices. Focus on what you can control - how well you know the material, how you sound, how prepared you are, show up on time, etc.

Play the bass you're most comfortable with and play it to win!

Break a leg!

Torrente Cro, Morris2103 and pbass2 like this.
  9. His only Fender is fretless. I vote for the Squier.

pudgychef likes this.
  10. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Agreed.

11. Rumble Thunder

Rumble Thunder

Aug 5, 2016
    Kentucky
    This is a perfect reason to go get a new bass! Find a Jetglo 4003 Rickenbacker and get down like you live! Have fun, stay focused and be professional. Show up on time and be willing to hang afterwards. You'll do great!

12. Manticore

Manticore

Feb 27, 2016
    SoCal
    My go-to is a six-string Alembic. In addition to my main ax, I always bring a P, a J.a Ric 4001 and a Sting Ray on first dates, just in case the band leader wants something more traditional.

13. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    If a player cant lock in with the drummer, has a sound similar to warm @ss after a few hours of summer jogging, cant support the other players, and cant move/groove the rest of the group, then - yes - you will lose the gig playing a Fender

Conversely, Ive never heard of a player that can flat out groove, move, and play ever losing a gig on whatever bass they have.....If indeed they do exist and have "Squier Prejudice" as quoted above then I would suggest to the OP to move along: If the gear is a big criteria for hiring a player or not (especially if he/she is getting great tone with what they have and are totally locking in with the band) then I would take it as a reflection on what a nightmare that situation will be like in relation to everything else

I just said this in a different thread: In a cover band, the audience is the priority. Weather your bass parts are virtuostic or simple, still just play for the song, the band, and to the audience: most of them arent musicians and couldnt tell a Squier from a Sadowsky...If a cover band is onstage playing because they want to impress other musicians and/or show off their gear, then (IMO) they are playing music for all the wrong reasons

YMMV of course

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  14. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    somebody shows up to an audition fiddling around and changing axes and everything but but just playing and it's a no from me.

Classic rock gig, take a classic rock axe. Feel free to let them know about all the other options you can bring to the table if need be but, just play. If that band...and especially that drummer... are any good at all, they are going to know if you aren't the guy in about 15 seconds and you are the guy or could be the guy in about a minute. The rest of the time is just being polite.

IMHO

singlemalt and pudgychef like this.
  15. Unfortunately, I have seen it happen here. It seems to be prevalent in younger musicians though

16. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    That's not what I said, I said that bringing a Fender will not be what kills the gig for you.

twinjet and SpazzTheBassist like this.
  17. In my experience if someone turns up to audition with more than one instrument, I'd be wondering what they have to prove.

Follow the K.I.S.S. model (keep it simple, sexy) and you'll be fine.

18. Bring a 5 string Bongo. It's the only bass you'll need.

19. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    This has been my experience as well...I have never had anyone ever say a peep about brands in any audition...I tend to play Music man, Ibanez or Fenders/Squiers...nobody said boo when I auditioned on a SX ...only basses that have ever really caused comments were my d Gibson TBird as they were so rare in Seoul and my.old Epi Jack Goldtop...and the comments were positive/curious

20. Paint the Squier's headstock to match the body. Make sure you cover the logo completely. If anybody asks what kind of bass you brought, just say it's a P or J (whatever model your Squier is) with a matching headstock. Sure to score bonus points with gear snobs.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021