1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Basses Were Those?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenG, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Watching the doc film "The Wrecking Crew" last night.

( Great doc btw if you haven't seen it..)

Carol Kaye does a bassline from "The Beat Goes On". Looks like a mahogany body bass. As the camera looked up at the headstock for a split second, I thought I saw the Fender logo. But the body design does not look "Fender" at all.

Then later a session man is playing an outtro bassline from 5th Dimension's "Age Of Aquarius".
    It looks to be the same brand bass that Carol was using earlier.

Can you i.d. those basses?

I am looking to get that exact same sound and tone.

And I love the "evenness" of tone ( no sudden disparity...no sudden "tubby hollowness" on upper notes. Which I can't seem to replicate like them on my basses).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

It's been a while since I have seen the movie so I am probably wrong but Carol has taken to Ibanez since her Fender days.

ZenG likes this.
  3. It looked "Ibanezish' now that you mention it. Believe it was an "active bass" too.

Wasn't she prone to using T.I. Jazz flats a lot too?

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If I remember correctly, and I might not, she played a P bass Lyte in that interview.
    post-1212-1186659603.jpg fender-precision-bass-lyte-deluxe-1127713.jpg

5. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Hey I might have actually been correct!

les1_display_horizontal.jpg

6. Yes. That looks 100% correct.

Thank you, sir...........:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MCF, Spidey2112 and two fingers like this.
  7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My neighbor and I took a random Thursday off once and watched the Muscle Shoals documentary, Wrecking Crew documentary and Standing in the Shadows of Motown. Good way to kill a rainy Thursday.

8. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    You know, if you really want to get as close to Carol's sound as possible, you could consider taking a private lesson with her. She's still offering them on her personal website last I checked.

ZenG and JeffC23 like this.
  9. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Look how short her fingers are. There is hope for me! :hyper:

bholder, mikewalker and shodan like this.
  10. @two fingers
    I did the exact same thing,added the BBC docu on Stax for dessert :thumbsup:

Ghastly, two fingers and TrevorOfDoom like this.
  11. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    What's she muting with? It's not just masking tape, is it?

12. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    She's got foam taped on. She talks about it in the film.

Aqualung60, JeffC23 and Picton like this.
  13. She tapes foam (or you can use a cloth too) over the strings. It is slightly different from when you shove foam under the strings - at least in my experimenting it seems like it doesn't affect the pitch as much as shoving foam underneath and you can get it closer to or right over the saddles if you want.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. JeffC23

JeffC23

Aug 1, 2017
    Ohio
    I was extremely surprised the first time I watch that. I didn't know she played such a big roll in the Beach Boys sound. She is responsible for a lot of people taking up the bass and they don't even realize it.

15. I did actually sign up on her site a ways back. I bought the videos and cd course. I'm not primarily a pick player at the moment but I was into it back then.

Lots of useful info and good stuff in the course...:)

16. That group of session musicians played on so many hit records then it's almost unbelievable...

17. Shishka Bob

Shishka Bob

May 28, 2017
    CT
    We owe our ears to her and we never knew it.

Ghastly, skwee, neddyrow and 2 others like this.
  18. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    And to David Hood.

alack, moonshinegtrs, climber and 3 others like this.
  19. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Victor Wooten's are as short or shorter. I held my hand up to his and I swear my fingers are a full inch longer. So the potential for you is almost endless. :D

20. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    The first time I met Vic and shook his hand I watched as his hand disappeared into my oversized mitt. My first thought was, my goodness, be careful with this hand, it's chock full of talent!