Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bassist album to buy?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Kruton, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    I would like to buy a bassist's album but I can't figure out what I want to buy. I don't want Wooten as I already have enough of his cd's. I was kind of thinking Jaco, as I don't listen to him much, maybe Miller. Anyone got recommendations? If it's on Itunes that's a big plus.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Kingpin by Adam Nitti

3. sully812

sully812

Mar 12, 2006
    Jaco Pastorius - Word of Mouth Revisited
    Billy Sheehan - Cosmic Trebadour

I like the bass playing on Jeff Beck's "Blow by Blow" as well.

I'll have to check out some of the other guys mentioned in this thread.

sully812

4. its not on itunes, but Michael Manring's "Soliloquy" ...www.manthing.com or Adam Nitti's "Balence"

5. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Defianately Marcus Miller "Silver Rain" It's one of my favorite CD's. It's REALLY good. :bassist:

6. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
  7. John Patitucci also has some good stuff out there. Heart of the Bass is great.

Tony Grey's album isn't bad either. It's on iTunes if you want to check out the samples.

Matt Garrison also has some good stuff out there.

8. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Few suggestions:

- Alain Caron's "Play" is a good one for techno-fusion. To my ears, Caron and Bromberg are cut from the same cloth, but I prefer Caron's style.

- You can go a few different directions with Patitucci. "Mistura Fina" is an interesting blend of electric jazz and Brazilian, "Sketchbook" is a good all-around recording, and may be my favorite of his.

- Gary Willis' "Bent" is great; I'm not sure how to describe it.

- I may be in the minority here, but if I were to recommend only one Marcus album, it would be "The Sun Don't Lie" rather than "Silver Rain." IMO the songs are better on the former. Although I really like the "Maaaahcus Daaahling" thing on Silver Rain.

Enjoy.

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Any album by or with Jeff Berlin.

10. if its jaco you want, you could look at the birthday concert, his self-titled cd like spc said, or maybe some of his work with weather report, like black market or heavy weather, or 8:30 (my 3 favorites!)

11. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Check out Pat Metheny's first album "Bright Size Life" with Jaco and don't look back.

12. Get Bill Laswell's Invisible Design album........what that man can do with his bass.....wow

13. How bout

Stanley Clarke / School Days
    Stu Hamm / Radio Free Albemuth

14. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Anything by Michael Manring. The guy's compositions and performances far transcend the typical limitations of the electric bass. He's absolutely inspiring...

MM

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Anything by Matthew Garrison...

Mad Science by Steve Jenkins!!! (get it!)

... and oh yeah Bright size Life.

16. allbass74

allbass74

Feb 24, 2006
    norway
    Any album by Richard Bona !great composer and a fantastic Bassplayer !

17. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Well I got Silver Rain and Jaco's self titled. However if anything else I REALLY like comes up I may have to go ahead on it too.

18. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Man, a lot of great work called out in this thread.

IIRC, Jaco is on only two Black Market cuts (not to worry, Miroslav Viteous (sp?) (and perhaps one other bassist) on the other tracks are great. Night Passage is another great Weather Report/Jaco album.

19. All suggested bassplayers are great!
    One (not that traditional) suggestion is the danish bass and cello player Lars Danielsson. Extremely delicate playing from this guy! Plays with the jazz singer Caecilie Norby.

20. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    +100 on School Days!

This was my first Stanley solo recording! Dig the percussions provided by the late Gregory Hines!