What bassist(living or dead) influences you most?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bessie, Sep 30, 2002.

1. Bessie

Aug 11, 2002
    I'm just so damned curious as to who influences your own style of playing your bass? I apologize if this question is already on here. I didn't look that far ahead cause there is so many posts on here. But anyways, I am so curious.

To start it off, I say Flea and Leo?(You know the guy from that band that doesn't exist anymore, Primus) I don't really know his name but I loved his playing.
  2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Leo Claypool? :confused:
  3. Bessie

Aug 11, 2002
    I don't know his name. I was just guessing.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hehe... I think you're joking Dave...but for Bessie's sake I'll go ahead and say it's Les Claypool. :)

So is "Leo" your standard guess for anyone whose name you don't know? :D just kidding

brad cook
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ok now I'll get to the actual question!

That's a tough one though. I'd have to say Tony Levin, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller and (this one is more in a rhythmic way than anything else) Les Claypool.

One thing I find myself doing as a result of listening to Claypool for a long time are quick little fingerstyle triplets like he always does. I never consciously started doing that because he does it...just kinda worked it's way into my playing. He's also the first one that inspired me to start tapping, this was taken to another level by Wooten and Stu Hamm though. Tony inspires me to play beautiful, grooving melodic stuff and Marcus just flat out inspires me. Then of course I got the double thumb thing and playing fast pentuplets from Wooten.

brad cook

ps - of course Jaco and Jamerson influence all of us even if you don't really listen to them a lot because most likely they influenced someone that influenced you. Same with Larry Graham if you play slap style at all.
  6. zoran

May 10, 2002
    steve harris, long long time ago. Now : Flea
  7. incognito89x

incognito89x &#9834;&#9835;&#9834; &#9834; &#9834; &#9835;&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I'd say the bassist with the most inluence is Ryknow (Ryan) from Mudvayne. Being younger than a lot of people here (19) I haven't heard much of the older stuff, and only have played for 5 years or so. But Ryknow's bassline are so creative, and proves that Metal/Nu-Metal/Whatever you want to call it doesn't have to be dropped Gb tunings and screaming, that it CAN actually be deep and well thought out.

Not only was I really impressed with his Speed and ability to create basslines other than following the guitar lead, but the fact that he plays well chords and octaves and such that give so much extra definition to the music.

The song that actually made me decided I wanted to play bass was Megadeth's Mastermind. It's not a complicated bassline, but it was impressive to me in the 9th grade :) He was pretty much my first inspiration.
  8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Wow when i think of this question i think more of players that got me started! Umm Lee Sklar of James Taylor, Jack Bruce of cream, John Paul Jones of Zepplin, now its a bunch of jazz guys! But for rock id say stefan from dave mathews band. Victor, Mike gorden of phish!

P.S i will stick up for her! I think she ment Leo from STP!:rolleyes:
  9. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    I could say many.........but the One is MARCUS!:cool:
  10. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    John Paul Jones!!!
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    If she meant Leo from STP then she probably wouldn't have said "You know the guy from...Primus"
    :rolleyes: ;)

brad cook
  12. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I hate to hear Les Claypool open his mouth, his singing voice is so annoying. but he is a good bass player.

I would honestly have to say Victor Wooten is my no. 1 influence.. I know many people say that.. but I started to listen to him first.. and thus his playing has had the biggest impact on me thus far.

Also, Marcus Miller is up there on my list of influences... sorry.. that was 2
  13. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I guess my responses are fairly generic:

Victor Wooten
    Les Claypool

I like bass more "up front" in songs.
  14. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Well, definatley my father. Even though our playing styles are different, you can hear his style anchored in my style. Also, a lot of local players have influenced my playing immensely. I don't know, I guess I learn more from "watching" bass players, than from "Listening" to them. Or maybe I'm just too lazy to transcribe songs that my band isn't covering. :p

As far as well known bassist that have influenced me: Donald Duck Dunn, John Paul Jones, Jaco, Jack Bruce, Noel Redding, Mark White, Geddy Lee, Tommy Shannon, Flea.

I don't know, I know I'm going against the grain here, but I've felt for a very long time that Les Claypool (along with Steve Harris) is one of the most overrated bassist ever. Still, I have to give credit to him though, he has influenced me somewhat. He taught me it's alright to get "wierd" with my playing.
  15. Geddy Lee, Mike Watt, Mike Dirnt, Karl Alvarez.
  16. McCartney
    Abraham Laboriel
    Duck Dunn (especially with Booker T. & the MG's)
    George Porter, Jr. (The Meters)
    Jon Camp (Renaissance, in the '70's)
    Dave Hope (Kansas)
  17. Bessie

Aug 11, 2002

I did say Primus.

And I don't really like the bassist from stp.
  18. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Tom Jenkinson, Trevor Dunn, Jaco, Mingus
  19. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Mike Watt!

more influence on my inspiration than on my style, but only because i suck.

20. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I left out one influence - MY BASS!! A great bass can sometimes be greater inspiration than other artists!

brad cook