1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Bassist was great influence, but you no longer listen to?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    For me, it is Stanley Clarke. When I was fourteen, I saw him on the cover of GuitarPlayer, and I first heard of Alembic. From 1975-1988, I bought every release of his except for maybe two. Over time, however, I realized that I was not really into piccolo bass or alot of lead bass playing. I came to understand that although I idolized Stanley Clarke, I played more like Bernard Edwards, Mark Adams (Slave), or even Geddy Lee than Stanley Clarke. In real terms, by 1980, Marcus Miller, Bernard Edwards, and Anthony Jackson, had become my biggest influences, it just took me along time to get out of the habit of buying Stanley Clarke recordings.:)

2. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Geddy Lee. I even have his signature bass (not because of Geddy, but because it is one of the best things Fender makes in that price range), but I don't listen to Rush much anymore.

Scott

3. GhostLobby

GhostLobby totally deeeeef on the hi-hat side

Nov 20, 2006
    Seattle
    Flea (his finger style, not his slapping), and all the bassists for every punk and hardcore band from the late seventies and early eighties I used to listen to. Except for Mike Watt and John Doe, I still listen to the Minutemen, X, and The Knitters a lot.

4. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Les Claypool. I own the majority of the albums he's put out with his various groups, and can't stand to listen to any of them anymore! gah!

5. roger glover--I was a big DP fan for a long long time, but now i have moved more towards the reed mathis side of bass :)

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Gene Simmons

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Flea. Was a fan for years but I have |0| interest in Stadium Arcadium, haven't heard any of it and probably never will.

8. babuska

babuska

Nov 14, 2005
    Finland
    Jack Casady...and Ronnie Wood! Yes, he´s fantastic bassist, listen early albums of Jeff Beck Group.

9. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Stanley Clarke.

10. Geddy Lee. I still play propulsively with hints of countermelody and try for a huge, growly tone, but damn do I hate that man's voice and those wretched, wretched lyrics.

11. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    les claypool. he was the reason i started playing. i still love hwo wild and creative he is, btu i dont really get inspired by his playign at all.

12. Cliff Burton.

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    It's kind of weird for me. I still listen to my influences. Old Jamiroquai (Zender), Chic (Bernard Edwards), Masters at Work (Gene Perez), Incognito (Randy Hope-Taylor), and Brand New Heavies (Andrew Levy). Btw, I rarely listen to any of the newer stuff of the ones that are still going, although I do like BNH's latest. The only one I don't listen to as much is Marcus Miller.

14. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    +1

I lost interest after Signals except for a couple songs here or there. I still like to pull out the lick to Circumstances at soundchecks sometimes.

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'll add one more thing: Even though I still listen to them, I VERY rarely play their licks.

16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Jack Bruce.
    Was a huge early influence.
    Moved on.

17. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Influence-Flea

I just don't understand....IMO after BSSM album their music to me just started going downhill.....

Influence-Les Claypool

Love all the Primus stuff and some of solo work, but the music that he has created lately just isn't as creative as he was.

18. JeremyBender

JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    NY
    Steve Harris, JPJ, Chris Squire and Geddy Lee for the most part. Also, I can barely listen to ELP anymore, and Greg Lake used to make me moist. Not so much anymore.

Prog is almost like hair metal to me these days. I almost can't believe I listened to it as much as I did.

19. s.m.80808

s.m.80808

May 5, 2006
    Vic Wooten

20. GhostLobby

GhostLobby totally deeeeef on the hi-hat side

Nov 20, 2006
    Seattle
    The Peppers started losing me after Mother's Milk. It's, to me, still their best album, though I have to admit to actually liking much of the album they did with Dave Navarro, which probably puts me in a company of ten other people. :p