what bassist wuz most charismatic

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by chimppimp, Jun 7, 2002.

1. chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    what bassist do u guys think was most charismatic solo or in a band
  2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Jaco!..........he was a rock star in a jazz band!
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why charismatic? Curious thing to be asking about! :)
  4. IMO, THE most charismatic is Flea. I've seen the Chili Peppers live 3 times, and fleas energy and charisma is just insane.

Number two, would have to be Les Claypool. I may hate him as a musician, but as a bassist and showman, i have to give the man props, anyone who can walk out on stage in the goofiest outfits, play the hell out of the bass, while singing, and keeping the audience on their feet is respectable in my book.

and number 3, i will say Dirk Lance. I've seen Incubus live about 4 times now, and i always stand right in front of the space between dirk and brandon, and the way they can captivate the crowd without even playing a note is incredible. I was utterly amazed at the way dirk can chill out and play his bass, and still have the energy to move the people in front of him, without hopping around like a fish out of water.
  5. odie

odie Supporting Member

The dude from Mudvayne
  6. The word charisma to me is personified by people like Sean Connery and Clark Gable. So I really dont see how Flea and Ryknow can be even thought of as the most charismatic.

I would say that Sting would be up there, along with McCartney, Jaco, and I definitely think Zender has charisma of his own kind.
  7. odie

odie Supporting Member

I was taking the question as which bass player will get the audiences attention while playing unstage.

Obviously if Sting is playing and singing people will be looking at him, same Paul M. But in a setting with a bassplayer just playing.
    Not a measure of who is the most famous cat who plays bass.
  8. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Bro, you have me befuddled. What do you mean you hate him as a musician, but you respect him as a bassist?
  9. chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    i will put 2 cents in for you it means that what he plays how he sounds other instruments his style all that makes a musician not skill he respects his skill but doesnt like some or all of the other stuff
  10. FiedelP

May 24, 2002
    Hamburg, Germany
    For me it was mainly Pete Hook when I was younger. It looked so cool, playing this bass down on his knees.
    Common' it's pop.
    For me, although I hate posers and notice people who are just this in a minute...
    I start again, I think if someone has something to say on his instrument, one way or the other, you will notice that. As it is true that if someone is just jumping around and playing Mr. Important with nothing behind, you'll notice it too.

O.K. I'm a bad guy:
    Sting has no charisma at all, cause what he's doing is not related to what he's saying with his music in any way.
    Paul M. might have been charismatic from 1962 till 1969 or so. But not for playing the bass. Now he's just a 60 or so year old guy with the smile of a 6 year old schoolboy.
    Flea is charismatic, although I never liked his band or music a lot.
    Get the point, there's no point.
  11. I said it once and I will say it again,
    Flea is not charismatic!

He might do wacked out stuff on stage and play some cool stuff, but that doesn't equal charisma.
  12. chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    that is what charisma is f the definition in the dictionary u truly know what it means and flea hella represents that
  13. the Webster's dictionary states that charisma is "an extraordinary power,as of working miracles, or speaking in many tongues etc.. said to be possessed by some of the early Christians".

Does Flea fit into this?

does Flea work miracles on the bass?

I aint just bagging Flea, cos i like him too, i just dont happen to think he is charismatic.
  14. FiElDy iz da most karazzzmatic 1 yo. Hes of da hook in da heezy yo.
  15. NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    I would have to agree that McCartney is the most charasmatic bass player. I've never seen him live (in person), but I have seen video clips from the Wings days and his performance on SNL a few years ago. He definately has a stage presence and plays great bass lines (In my opinion, anyway).
  16. chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    heres what a miracle means:
    1 : an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs
    2 : an extremely outstanding or unusual event, thing, or accomplishment
    3 Christian Science : a divinely natural phenomenon experienced humanly as the fulfillment of spiritual law

u see an almost usual extrordinary event is and rhcp concert where flea playin his bass can pump a whole audience or in websters terms manifest intervention in human affairs affect the crowd so to speak charisma includes miracles and we can say flea is pretty charismatic in performing miracles u dont have to like flea as a musician bass player person or soul to admit he's charismatic
  17. chimppimp

May 30, 2002
    i refuse to use punctuation
  18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
  19. hey chimpimp, Flea might be better than you or me or millions of others, but that doesn't mean he performs miracles on the bass. You and I both know he doesn't perform miracles on the bass guitar.

And I aint gonna back down over this issue.