Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What bassists use Music Man Sting Rays or Sterling?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Optimus Prime, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Any famous bassists who use 'em?

2. Thirdstar

Thirdstar

Jun 7, 2001
    Houston Tx.
    Tony Levin, Phil Lesh used to, John Deacon from queen, Dave LaRue (Dixie Dreggs) Adam Nitti.

3. Are they good (Muisc Man) for slapping and popping?

4. Flea uses em too.

:eek:

5. What's so damn upsetting with my question?

6. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Stingrays and Sterlings are considered by some to be the best basses for slap tones.

7. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    These basses are also very popular now. I have seen loads of bass player using them. Most seem to go for the stingrays. I prefer the sterling cause it is smaller ;).

They also cut though really well in a band situation.

8. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Bernard Edwards (Chic) and Louis Johnson (The Bros. Johnson) used StingRays in their 80's funk-disco heydays. Timmy C. used them on early Rage Against the Machine albums. Michael Manring and Pino Palladino both played fretless 'Rays at one point.

9. Boz Burrell played one with Bad Company

10. The guy from The Churchills. I just know that 'cus he was in BP :-|)

11. The late John Glascock was an early Stingray user in the late '70's with Jethro Tull.

12. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Let's see who else can I think of that hasn't been said:

Paul D'Amour (TOOL's original bass player) used one in addition to a Rickenbacker
    Justin Chancellor (TOOL) used to before he switched to Wal's
    Rex from Pantera used to
    Jason Newsted used a 5 string live for a short while
    Fuzz from Disturbed
    Dorian 27 from Powerman 5000
    Duff McKagen
    The bass player for Lit (sorry don't know his name)

I'm sure there's a lot more but it's early and that's all that come to mind.

13. The bass players from Lagwagon and the Vandals both use Stingrays. The guy from The Urge plays Stingray 5-strings.

14. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    When did Jason use the MusicMans ?

I thought he played ESP & WAL then change to Alembic (after "Justice") then switched to the Spectors (after the "Black Album") for a shorter tour then got his Sadowskys (since Load).

So when was it ?

David

15. wynnguitars

wynnguitars

Jun 20, 2001
    fl
  16. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    He was using a Stingray 5 string on some songs while touring behind Load. He didn't use them for long. Come to think of it though if you watch A year and half in the Life of Metallica it shows him recording Nothing Else Matters with a fretless Stingray.

17. hate to be a smarty pants, but Kevin Baldez(sp?) of Lit uses Ibanez ATKs.

(whoo hoo 1100 posts!)

18. joe lally of fugazi

and i think tony kanal of no doubt used to use them

19. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    It's all good. Well the ATK is basically a stingray clone, so I'm close. You know what I must be think of that band Buck Cherry, they do that song All Lit Up Again, hence my confusing them with the actual band Lit. Buck Cherry's bass player used a Singray when I saw them on some late night talk show, Letterman I think but don't quote me.