What best cab rolls with a GK 400RBIII???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Birdy num num, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Birdy num num

Birdy num num

Feb 21, 2005
    Just got my new GK (well, new to me) 400RBIII head, and just played my first gig with it (this wedding, simply nuts in front of the stage), but am borrowing a Carvin 4x10. Yes, the volume was there, but the cabinet lacked any clarity whatsoever. No disrespect to Carvin folk, but the sound was a tad muddy, and the notes weren't separated and the punch factor was vitually non-existent. The Carvin's a loaner, as you can guess.

So, my question is: What will be the best cabinet for me to get to get that punchy sound, yet be able to carry a small- to medium-sized nightclub?? That Avatar 2x12 sounds VERY attractive to me, since I would rather not lug around a 100 lb. 4x10 cab, yet the 2x10 configuration sounds just too good to be true. Can two 10s actually rock a fairly-sized club?? Enlighten me. So, since my gig experience will be forever confined to clubs with about 150 people, can some of you tell me what is best?? Yes, I play festivals here and there, but they always have p.a. support.

Thanks, so much!!
  2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Some 210s might do the job, maybe some of the newer Avatars with Kappa or Neo drivers. (I've rehearsed with an Avatar B210 and heard another guy play through it at gigs, and I don't think it's enough.) But most 210s that could cut it are probably more expensive, and if you're trying to get folks to dance, you need more low end!

With an efficient 212, though, you'd have no problem. Many here have suggested the Genz-Benz Neox212, which would be a great choice. Most say it sounds awesome, and at 4 ohms it would get the most out of your GK. If you want to stick with GK, the Neo212 might be a good choice. I have the 112, and the clarity is unbelievable. It's a hi-fi sound that should cut right through a mix. (Haven't tried yet with a band though.) The 212 probably has that plus more low end slam. For only slightly more dough, many have recommended Schroeders. I'm tempted to try one myself. Check the threads.

If low cost is a priority, go with Avatar or Dr. Bass, both of whom make nice 212's. They might be just as good to your ears anyway.
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Before you start looking at cabinets this is what you should know. GK heads unlike most other heads have a tone section that is in series, This means 1 tone control will affect the others and a little goes a long way. spend some time with the head and start with all controls flat, slowly boost and cut to taste (remeber a little goes a long way) Spend some time learning the boost controls operation.
    Good luck with your GK :)
  4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.