1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What blender

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by obcorm, Apr 11, 2006.

1. obcorm

obcorm

Apr 12, 2005
    Ireland
    I just got myself an AMT mic which I'm using with a Wilson pickup into an AI amp. Either one sounds fine on it's own but to get the best sound/volume/clarity I have to mix signals. I've tried using the low and high z inputs and adjusting trim/gain accordingly but the levels are too different. Looks like I'm going to have to get a blender of some sort, what should i get? DOes anyone have a similar setup?

2. Hi Obcorm.
    It's always an asset for every TB member to fill out his profile as much as he can, so other members can better help you with your queries and questions.
    That way they know your setup, preferences, where you're located etc.

Thanks in advance, and welcome on TB!

Best regards,
    François

3. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    The D-TAR Solstice seems to be getting good reviews from everyone. I've been happy with mine. I use it to blend an AMT and a Rev SOLO pickup.

4. obcorm

obcorm

Apr 12, 2005
    Ireland
    Yeah, I've had a look at them, very expensive. Are they really that much better than a simpler system, like schertler pocket blender. I can't get them here easily so i'd have to buy it before i tried it.

5. How about that one then?:

Attached Files:

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Well I really don't know if the Solstice is better than other systems. It does have a good sound IMO, and a lot of signal routings options.

As a general rule, as you spend more and more money on gear, eventually I guess you hit a point of diminishing returns. Where that breakpoint is depends a lot on your specific situation and your ears I reckon.

For example, I used a small stereo preamp from K&K for a long time, and never had any complaints. It costs a lot less than the D-TAR. But I doubt I would go back to it now that I have "upgraded" to the D-TAR.

The Schertler stuff is very highly regarded by many. I am not familiar with the blender you mentioned though.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Francois's latest suggestion either.

7. ClassicalDB

ClassicalDB Guest

Apr 9, 2005
    Beverly Hills
    I've been using a pocket blender by Fishman and it's great. It blends the signals with clarity and gives me great tone, thats all u need.

8. Dave Whitla

Dave Whitla

Apr 25, 2006
    Ireland
    I've been using a blender by SD Systems hat works really well with their own mic and my underwood pickup. The mic input takes only a 1/4" jack, though. I use an EQ pedal for the pickup to take off a bit of the highs from the underwood.
    I also recently borrowed an EBS Microbass II which has two channels. It sounds really good. You can EQ each channel separately but you can't control how much of each channel- you're limited to one channel or the other or 50/50. Thinking pretty seriously about buying it...

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I just did a google for this and it's about $329. That's about the same as the D-Tar.

10. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City

That looks like guacamole? hmmmm yummmmmmy!!!!!