what body wood do guys prefer from these two?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, May 26, 2003.

1. Maple

16 vote(s)
  2. Mahoganoy

29 vote(s)
  1. I'm going to buy this bass that has a really cool option, choosing between mahoganoy or maple. I know it's like the best of both worlds and I can only get one or the other.........any opinions would really be a great help.
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    * Mahogany (Khaya Ivorensis): It is a medium to heavy weight wood with a Strat body averaging 5 lbs or more. Mahogany is a fine grained wood with good musical properties. The tone is warm and full with good sustain. The grain is easy to fill, although, it does not tend to look good with clear finishes. It does look great with a transparent red finish.

* Maple (Acer Saccharum-Hard Maple, Acer Macrophyllum-Pacific Maple): There are two types of Maple: Eastern Hard Maple (hard rock maple) and Western Soft Maple (big leaf maple). Hard Maple is a very hard, heavy and dense wood. This is the same wood that is use on necks. The grain is closed and very easy to finish. The tone is very bright with long sustain and a lot of bite. This wood cannot be dyed. It looks great with clear or transparent color finishes. Western Maple grows all over Washington state. It is usually much lighter weight than Hard Maple but it features the same white color. It has bright tone with good bite and attack, but is not brittle like the harder woods can be. Our flame ( fiddleback) and quilted bodies are Western Maple. This type of maple works great with dye finishes.
  3. Hey Fretnomore.........I'm really sorry if I sound rude, but I know how the woods sound and all, I'm just having trouble picking which one. I love both sounds, and I'm hoping people's opinions will help me decide.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I prefer mahogany, but my preference really doesn't have anything to do with what you should buy. What will you be using it for? Which sound would work better for you in the long run?
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a maple body Spector, which has a nice, sweet midrange sound, but I actually like Mahogany for its low-mid richness a little more. Both are good, though, but for different purposes.
  6. I know what you mean, that's what makes it a dilemma.

I play a lot of different types of music, so something versatile would be cool, and yet again these two woods are the best of two worlds.( in the middle price range).lol
  7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You are thinking about buying Mahogany.
    You really do like Mahogany.
    You want to buy Mahogany.
    You love the sound of Mahogany.
    You need to buy Mahogany.
    Your musical passions are inspired by the sound of Mahogany.
    You must have Mahogany.
    You are saying to yourself, "Give me Mahogany or give me death by chipper/shreader!"

[I hope that helped you decide.] :p
  8. I just reread the specs and I think I'm gonna announce I'm a stupid ass.

It's either maple topped mahoganoy or bubinga topped mahoganoy. I was misinformed by the guy wanting to sell it to me!

I think it's now about the cosmetics, cuz I really don't see too much a difference between bubinga topped and maple topped....what about you guys?
  9. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    what kind of bass is it? Is it 2 different basses you have to choose from? Or a custom that you're spec'ing out? What is the airspeed velocity of a laden swallow?
  10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Most Bubinga tops I've seen are really beautiful.

Tone wise, it probably won't make a lot of difference since it's just a top slice, but Bubinga has a richer bottom and low-mids.

Mahogany/Bubinga, Mahogany/Bubinga, Mahogany/Bubinga.
  11. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    What kind of maple top? Flamed, quilt, etc.
  12. I pleed the fifth... I like ash, can't go wrong with it.
  13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Any particular reason you're bumping this thread? It's eight months old...
  14. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Someone else probably bumped the poll, and he just didn't realize it was 8 months old.
  15. appler

appler Guest

Everybody's got some kind of maple top nowadays! Go with Bubinga; it's awesome-looking.