Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What books do you guys reccomend for me?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bkchang79, Sep 17, 2002.

1. I've been playing on and off for 10 years and started to play serious recently and was wondering what books I need. I've taken at least 15 lessons before and started some lessons a couple days ago. The lesson's help, but I feel that I can learn from a book just as well as my current bass teacher. The problem is that I have the technique down, but I don't know what a Gm7 is. I know a major scale and my improvise takes time because I don't understand the theory. It seems like I know some, but I can't get it together. When I used to play on my High School Jazz band 5 years ago, I had to improvise. What I would do is play what sounds right but I wouldn't know what I was playing. Also I would sit down and make stuff up until it sounds right, memorize it, then write on a piece of paper and play it. Lately I've been listening to Michael Maning, Marcus Miller, Jaco, Victor Wooten, Steve Baily, Larry Graham, etc. I want to be a person that knows how to play all types of music and I feel that Jazz is the foundation for rock, blues, funk, etc. Thanks for your help, and I hope everything makes sense.

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Why not ask your new bass teacher for ideas? They, if anyone, should be able to make a good assessment of what available books are suitable for your present level.

Wulf