What books do you guys use/recommend?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by waxlabltabler, Sep 12, 2002.

1. waxlabltabler

Aug 24, 2002
    You know, instructional books, scales, modes anything bass related. What are the best books out there?
  2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    You might want to do a search. This topic has been covered a zillion times.
  3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Fingerboard Harmony for bass by Garry Willis

Great Book! I studied with willis 10 years ago and I payed him alot more than 17 bucks for the same exact very practical ,clear lessons..

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I still dig Ray Brown's Bass Method.

It's tough and raw, not fancy, it doesn't come with a CD, you don't get tablatures, but each of those exercises opens for months of work and experimentations.

edit : it was written for upright, but it's great for horiz:)ntal players too.
  5. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I'm currently working my way through The Chordal Approach, Volume 1 A Study in the Development of Chordal Playing for Four String Electric Bass, by Michael T. Dimin.

Michael T. Dimin
    P. O. Box 49
    Averill Park, Ny 12018

There is a lot of chordal mumbo-jumbo to wade through. I guess the terminology is explained elsewheres, but he tabs his examples which makes it easier to follow and learn. It's mostly upper scale jazz/blues music, but it can teach you quite a bit and can be applied to other styles.

It's great info for those who want to break out of the typical lead-guitar/singer-imposed role of "supportive" bass player.
  6. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    The Jazz Theory Book and Jaco Pastorius Modern bass guitar. Not to mention the books I have for my orchestra class (dont know what theyre called)
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    The Evolving Bassist by Rufus Reid. Great investment. Lots 'o stuff to work on, including transcribed solos (no tabz here!), bass duets, all the scales you'll ever need, or want, exercises w/ the piano... everything.
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The Mel Bay Complete Blues Bass Book with CD.

This book helped me tremendously. This is mainly a blues book, but it has explanations and exercises of twelve bar blues form and blues and pentatonic scales, plus explanation and exercises in many styles of blues, blues rock and rock and roll as it moves moving toward increasingly complex music, including some introduction to jazz.

Having a solid lock on the material in this book will help a musician in many styles of music, not just blues.

It is written in standard notation and tab, except for the most complex exercises, which by the time you get there, you should be reading anyway. Plus many exercises are on the CD, too, so you can hear how they should sound and play along too.

It is a style book, but not a technique book. If you need help with slap, tap, harmonics, pull offs, string bendiing, string muting, etc., this book will not help you much.