Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what "brand" chorus pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dougray, Aug 18, 2002.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    hello, what brand chorus pedal are you fellow bassists using,either stand alone stomp box,or multi effect pedal,mainly bassists who use their chorus to "fatten"/add depth to their sound..any suggestions,thanx...

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Boss CE2

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus pedal. I didn't really try out the other brands. When I found that this pedal allows you to control the amount of your signal that gets chorused, I decided that's the one I want. It has a variable low pass control which allows you to let your bass's the low end pass through unchorused, while only the highs and upper mids get chorused. Ofcourse, you still have the option of applying the chorus effect to the entire signal if desired.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Danelectro Cool Cat, EBS UniChorus or TC Electronics Chorus.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  6. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    Electro Harmonix Small Clone

7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have both a TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger and an EBS UniBass..neither of which I use anymore. Tho, I should add, both are excellent pedals; probably the best pedal-type chorus units out there.
    For chorus-y sounds I use either my Harmonizer for detuned pitch-shift, or some custom patches on my tc M-One rack processor. But truthfully, I have shied away from the chorused bass sound...it seems to have been a bit overdone.
    Max

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've owned the Boss CE-20 Ensemble for a couple of weeks. I like the programmability and the fact that one of settings replicates the legendary CE-1.

I'll put up a review in TB's "Reviews" section when I get to know it a little better.

[​IMG]

9. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Another vote for the CEB-3 -- I too liked the low-pass thing that lets you decide how low the effect should reach and how much low freq comes through untouched. I imagine the CE-20 has lots more capabilities but it costs a ton more too. If I were as serious about chorus as I am about EQ, I'd probably own one. As it is, I'm quite pleased with my CEB-3.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've tried this one out, very nice, very versitale pedal! I don't own it yet but I plan on getting one soon.

11. I'm still trying to find a chorus with a regain control... that would sound pretty warped.

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I gotta go with ya so far, Joshua.

My fear of doing a review right now is the all-too-common, jerkball, syndrome of "I bought one so it's definitely the best on the market" (can someone in the congregation shout "Harmony Central?"). It has some cool features for a chorus lover such as I;

- 6 types of chorus including the legendary CE-1 that started it all
    - an internal preamp to go into the board
    - the "Ambience" control that lets you add tonal richness
    - the "Brilliance" control that let you adjust the "sheen" of the "glistening" effect
    - the ability to stereo-split your chorus/regular signal between cabs
    - the presets that let you immediately dial in a little or a lot of "bass sheen"

I still have to figure out if the cost is more than the benefit.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

I thought I was immune because I don't actually own the pedal. :D

14. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Boss RCE-10, discontinued 1/2 half space rack mount unit

15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'll have the george dennis stereo chorus/volume soon enough.

hoo-ray for birthdays!

16. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I tried a Boss CEB-3 for about 10 minutes, sounded really full and fat. Has a low filter control, so it only affects higher frequencies, which is good, and it's small, cheap and built like a friggin tank.