1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What brand is considered the "new SWR"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maconbass, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Since SWR has lost favor among a lot of us now, I'm wondering what everyone would consider the be the SWR replacement. This is especially for "hi-fi" fans. It seems that all of us Gospel and jazz players (and heavy slappers) have used SWR at some time. I've had two amps and several cabs but have finally grown tired of reliability issues on the heads. When they come back from repair, they still don't sound right. However, still being in love with the SWR tone, I would like to know what people are replacing them with. It seems that a lot of former SWR endorsers are with Epifani now.?.?.?

2. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    As far as the hi-fi thing goes, I'd say Epifani, Thunderfunk, Markbass and EA are covering it pretty well.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    And the envelope, please. The winner for the "new SWR" is...

SWR!

4. I've got a Markbass LMII that I replaced my SWR with and, while having very impressive power and low end, it doesn't have what I would call "hi-fi" tone. I can't coax much high end "sparkle" when it comes to slapping which is why I'm considering something else. Don't get me wrong, the Markbass is a killer head, just more vintage sounding to me.

5. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The key to somewhat replicating various head and cab signatures is often not only to boost some particular [set of] frequencies, but to also cut elsewhere. Besides often resembling what's going on in a cab or head's default voicing, the contrast becomes more obvious; the boosted area stands out more.