Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What brand is light on the fingers but good for slap.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jake15, Feb 25, 2001.

1. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I have Dr LOWriders right now and they sound real good but they are really tough on my fingers.I mean really, really tough. I love to slap and pop and I need a set of strings that are light on the fingers but hravy on the slap.What do u recomend?

__--------------Jake

u can write stuff and stuff.

2. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Ernie Ball Super Slinkys. I dig em' and my fingers do too.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dont waste your money on Ernie Balls!!!!!! ;)

If you like DRs, try some Dr Sunbeams. Other good sets would be D'addario Slowounds or XLs, or Labella Slappers (those are rougher though). Those are all pretty easy to get ahold of.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I usually find that stainless steel strings are very hard on my fingers, but nickel-plated strings are bright enough for slap and don't hurt your fingers - like D'Addario Slowounds - great for slap, but very smooth and comfortable feel, as well.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's not so much a matter of string brand but of gauge IMO.
    I use .035 to .095 sets. If you used .045-.105s until now, try some .040-.100s.

P.S.: Stainless steels only for me. I haven't experienced that they harder on the fingers or the frets than nickels, but nickels just don't sound right to me.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I definitely find stainless steel strings very "abrasive" on my fingertips. Nickel sound great to me - you can get the classic "slap sound" but they're not "over bright" so that you're always getting finger noise at the slightest movement - the perfect compromise. I think it depends on getting good manufacturers though - I've tried nickels from D'Addario and Thomastik which sound great, but I wouldn't think that cheaper makes would sound as good.

7. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Hey Angus,

What's your beef with EB's? Just curious. Admittedly, I have only played EB's, Rotosounds, Blue Steels, and Fenders...but I found EB's to be great...

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The DR "Marcus", a.k.a. "Fat Beams," I have (2 sets) are better for slap than Lo-Riders, IMO. Being stainless roundwounds, they won't be easier on your hands.

If it's your tendons that are sore, then you just have to pump `em up with practice.

If the fingertips are sore with new or broken calloused skin, try one of the super glues on your fingers. Works great and doesn't get tacky.

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I'm with JMX, nickel does not sound right to me so I use only stainless steel. Unfortunately, stainless rounds in many cases can be more abrasive on the hands. An example would be Rotosound swingbass series. I love the sound, but they are pretty coarse.

The most comfortable stainless rounds for me are the DR High Beams, but I still use the Rotosounds on some basses too. The most comfortable roundwound I ever played was Elixir, but they are nickel, so they've not found a home on any of my basses.

I would say go ahead and try some nickel strings, but if you were using stainless before, I think you'll be disappointed in the sound.

Good luck!

10. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    DR Hi-Beams are extremely comfortable for roundwounds. I've got Lo-Rider stainless on my bass right now and they sound better than the Hi-Beams. Deeper but still bright. If it's comfort your after, I'd go with DR Hi-Beams or Sunbeams.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Halfnote, to me, they sound like nothing. Never seen a set that sounded good compared to just about anything. All my friends use them, and break strings constantly, get dead strings, etc. They just sound like crap, imo, and dont last very long. Im not a big fan. Probably 90% of people buy them for the package.

12. well in all fairness to Ernie Ball, they are a cool looking package:D

13. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    rsautrey:

Can you provide any more input on the Low Riders? Do they feel like the Hi Beams? I was thinking of trying some but I'm a creature of habit and haven't taken the leap yet.

I know they have a different core, does this affect playability in any way? Like, are they stiffer? No problem there, I don't mind a stiff string so long as the tension is not too much higher.

Soundwise, is the bottom end just more defined? Are they still as bright as the High Beams with just deeper definition in tone? If so, they sound great.

14. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    seamus, the Lo-Riders are to me quite a bit stiffer than Hi-Beams of the same gauge. This is on my American Standard Jazz bass with string through body bridge. The sound of Lo-Riders is a more defined bottom end with plenty of high end. They are not as raw sounding as Hi-Beams and they are IMO harder to play. To me, Hi-Beams require a light touch fingerstyle but Lo-Riders like to be plucked harder. I hardly ever slap and prefer a medium action setup so I prefer Lo-Riders even though they don't feel as good as Hi-Beams. I've never tried Fat Beams but scroll down and find the thread call 'I got Fat (Beams)'. rickbass1 does a good review of them. I hope this helps you out.

15. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    I always thought the pink package looked stupid.

16. sanch

sanch

Oct 4, 2000
    i like ken smith medium light gauge.45 to 105. brite and snappy with a longer life to them for my money. in a pinch blue steels are good too.
    sanch

17. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Get some black label warwicks! Musicians friend has them on sale now!

18. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I usually use Blue Steels or SloWOunds...they are very easy on my fingers and have great tonal qualities....ive since cheaped out and got some Peavy stainless steals and they are very hard on the fingers but offer a much brighter tone than the nickels do. Much better for slap and pop sounds

i use light gauge strings

19. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    cool, thanks for the feedback man, I'll give it a try

20. gsummer

gsummer

Feb 11, 2001
    Alot of you are saying that you prefer stainless steel strings to NIckel, but I've always heard that Nickel were better for slap. I guess it depends what you like. I don't like strings to be too bright. I have actually been thinking of trying DR-Lo Riders. Any one else have any opinions on them?