1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What brand makes a cheap 22-fret jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by St Drogo, May 5, 2010.

1. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    ...It's all there in the title. Anyone know? I'm thinking in the squier pricerange, so say up to €300,-.

2. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
  3. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    I'm aware of SX basses, but these are still normal 20 fret jazzes, wheareas I'm looking for 22 or more frets on a jazz, without having to spend like 1500 on an American Deluxe. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

4. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Yeah, I've always loved those basses, especially the white see through one with the block inlays. I think it's Darkstrike that has one he put a splitcoil in in place of the neck pu. Really sexy bass and maybe my best bet here if I can't find what I'm specifically looking for, which is the classic jazz styling. You know, jazz shape, control plate, stuff like that. Thanks!

5. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    :rollno: sorry! i even tried to count the frets before i posted haha guess it's just one of those days...

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Yup, thats me that modded one with the split coil. :)

You want a Vintage AV-4 bass, since you're using the € symbol rather than the $, I'm guessing you are indeed in Europe, so some Googleing/eBaying should get you one easily, and under that price.

GIT287.rev_vintage.ct_vintage_prev-460-80.

^^ Bass in question.

7. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Whoop, there it is! Whoop, there it is!

That's almost exactly what I was looking for. Thanks Darkstrike!

I think I have what I need now, but if anyone else still has a good suggestion, feel free to post it.

8. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Huh I'd never guessed in a million years to see a jazz in a Sid Vicious color scheme.
    So much for just wanting a P bass now I need a jazz to match.

Did I ever tell you I hate you guys?

BTW I'm looking for a guitar and found the EVL line they look promising shame how bad Cort's owner treats his workers though did you ever hear about them going to NAMM (workers not the basses)?
    Did they actually go through with it?

9. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    What's wrong with going to NAMM? I'd love to go and my boss never whips me or chains me to a loom for 20 hours a day.

10. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Never heard about that before, Google'd it, dissapointing, I was always a huge Cort fan. :meh:

Yeah, they went to NAMM.

11. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    I googled too.

Seriously: "On July 12, 2007 a Cort worker set himself on fire in protest (...)"

wth!

12. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    I was about to say fender jazz bass 24. Which were made in Korea. By... Well, they weren't that good anyhow.

13. +1 Very disturbing, indeed. I don't posses any instruments currently manufactured by Cort or Cor-tek or the companies (Ibanez, Parkwood, ESP, Schecter, G&L Tribute) who they build for, and until they handle that workers situation I will never. Also, I plan to start a boycott of said company. Workers have a right to unionized in order to protect themselves.

Disturbing indeed.

14. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Heh, I have a collection of instruments manufactured by them, including 4 of Corts own brand, and a few of their Squiers. :meh:

I won't be increasing it, thats for sure.

15. Just to chime in on the side of Darkstrike and the Vintage AV4 bass. I used to be endorsed by Vintage and played that bass for 2 years solid at regular rock and funk gigs. It's a good solid bass with 22 frets, heavy(ish) and well made. I liked the tone but was too inexperienced at the time to get the best out of it. I think it's a good solid bass and could become a brilliant bass if you're willing to improve the pickups and maybe add CTS pots as the stock ones are a little stiff but that's a personal preference thing...

The thing I REALLY wanted to tell you about is that although it looks like a jazz bass it has a Pbass profile neck. It's a BIG meaty neck and NOT a jazz profile or not even close, distinctly Pbass feel.

I didn't like this ^^^ myself as it caused my hands to cramp during gigs occasionally. That and the lack of drop in modding opportunities like different pickguards without having them custom made turned me off and I bought a fender after selling the AV4.

BUT!!! It was a solid and well made bass that sounded good and played well once set up and did me proud for nearly 2 years of playing. Try one for yourself and see how it fits you.

16. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Ah, cool, glad to hear from someone with experience.

The stiff pots would be a bonus for me, I hate loose pots, the stiffer and slower turning the better, IMO.

17. The stiff pots annoyed me as I do a lot of pickup switching per song, neck pickups for beefy or growly tone during guitar solos and bridge pup for chords etc so the stiff pots made this too hard for me but I did get used to it. The tone know felt cheap to me and the roll off tone was noticeably quieter than the open tone but this is just a vague memory from live noisy gigging where quite possibly anything other than the growl of an open tone jazz bass would be smothered by the mix of drums and 2 guitars.

Like I've tried to reiterate, it's a very solid bass and has a fairly typical jazz bass tone that you'd expect from an alder body and rosewood fb bass. The headstock and thich neck made the neck a little heavy but each to their own. Although I don't find the 22 fret thing a deal breaker and thus would happily buy a nice squire instead I would probably take one of these again if I found a good enough deal and wanted a fun bass to mod and rock out on.

18. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Ey Barker, thanks for the inside scoop! I read up a bit on the AV-4 after darkstrike suggested it and was aware of the p-neck. The pickguard having to be custom made if I wanted it replaced irks me a bit, but nothing I won't get over. The other things you suggested to replace, like pots, are more universal. I'm in Holland though, and it seems I can only get this bass by mailordering it, something I'm not really a fan of. Especially since I can't feel the neck 'n' such before buying. Sure it's a cheap bass, so I might as well ust go for it, but I'm a poor bassist, so... :p

Also, you guys said "stiff", hehe...