What brand of cables do you use?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by McHack, Dec 20, 2005.

1. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm interested to see what brands of all the various types of connector cables we may run in the average gigging rig...

Instrument cables
    Pre to Power cables
    Speaker cables

I've heard more than one person bitching about Monster Cables, no because the product,,, but because the company.

I guess I'm just interested in hear everyone's choices, & predjudices for/against the brands they choose,,, or choose to avoid.
  2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I build my own, and that is what 99% of my cables are.

I bailed on Monster many moons ago because of both the product and the company. Overpriced and underbuilt. I've never had one of my cables fail, and out of a few hundred that I have built for others I have had two returned, one for a bad solder joint and one for user damage.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I use mostly ProCo. Though I do intend to buy some from Pete or Butch Ammons one of these days.
  4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I run Mogami cables. Haven't had a problem in over three years now with the same cables.

I had Monster but won't run them again due to their company and their cables being failure prone, IME.
  5. I have a Monster microphone cable but all my other cables are Planet Waves. I might add that I never had a problem with that Monster cable and I've had it for about 10 years.
  6. Boomer

Sep 17, 2003
    Hollywood, FL
    I just ordered a bunch of instrument, 1/4"-1/4" speaker cables and some Speakon to Speakons from Mark Stoddard at Lava Cable. He uses Canare or GeorgeL, depending on your desires, and he's a nice guy to boot.

Tell him Boomer says "Hey"!
  7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Note that I have not seen a new Monster Cable product in a few years, so my comment could be outdated.

Look closely at where the "sleeve" joins the threaded part of the plug. Are these two separate pieces? Think about the amount of leverage -- a small amount of lateral force on the plug handle produces a huge force to pull the plug apart if those parts are not made from one continuous piece of metal. Give the cord a nice tug. Now you have a loose ground connection. Crackle crackle.

The legendary Switchcraft #280 plug, against which all others are judged, has the sleeve and threads machined from a solid piece of brass. Given that the #280 predates the invention of the electric bass, there's no excuse for doing it differently unless you can make it better, not worse. No excuse, unless you are utterly clueless about how a musical instrument cable is supposed to be used.

And if you can't figure out how to design the basic plug so that it functions correctly, please don't tell me how wonderful the "sound" of the cable is. Also, just my suggestion, avoid gold plated plugs, because the plating can flake off and get into the inner workings of your amp. Bright nickel plating (a la the #280) has excellent conductivity and is a more rugged finish.

Note that I have nothing against Monster. Cheap cables are fine for stereo installations that sit in one place forever. If you believe the marketing claims that Monster cables have a unique sound, then at least make sure the wire is supported at both ends to avoid mechanical stress on the plugs.

I use ProCo wire and #280 plugs. You can get the bulk wire at Parts Express. The plugs from Mouser Electronics or Digi-Key.
  8. I use Samson Armoured Cables. They have been indistructable so far...run over, stepped on, etc. and they don't get twisted up and kinked no matter who puts them away. Plus they look cool (like telephone booth cables).
  9. The Metal Guy

The Metal Guy

Nov 5, 2005
    I use Planet Wave cables.
  10. www.bayoucables.com . . . i got this guy to make me some speaker cables, they are excellent and much higher quality and much cheaper than the equivilant in the shop!

I think i'll go there again, or get a guy who might be doing similar locally to make some instrument cables when the ones i have now are dead (use Klotz instrument cables, they are pretty good :) )
  11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I make my own. Cheap and reliable.
    After doing various cables, it takes me minutes to make one.
  12. I 2nd www.bayoucables.com I actually just ordered another Orange 20' instrument cable with angled ends for 33.00 shipped!

I also use Monster cable and hear they are very fragile and because of that they are unreliable for gigs but mine are speaker cables connecting my cabs only and get packed in the head case so they are somewhat protected.

BAYOU Cables are the best I think though... have heard good things about "Lava Cables" too www.lavacables.com
  13. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    I still have my first Monster cable I bought about 14 years ago before they really got on the market, still use it today. I also have a Spectraflex that is very good and also an Audio Quest I use in the studio.
  14. Peter Kaae

Peter Kaae

Oct 10, 2004

Switchcraft user#2 :)
  15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I have a Rapco cable that works perfectly that I bought nearly 20 years ago because it was the cheapest one they had. I'm not sure that means I want to buy all Rapco cables.

But, to answer, I have probably purchased at least 100 cables in the last 20 years for one application or another, and I can't say that I once ever have considered the brand name when I did. I've always taken the " a cable is a cable" approach and never been left wanting. I don't buy them with sealed ends, as they can't be cut down, but other than that, I don't care.

I am much more likely to lose one by leaving it somewhere or give it away to a needy person than I am to have one fail. If they do, I usually cut them down and re-solder the plug for another application.
  16. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
  17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

for all cables for me. I'm even ordering some customs for my little recording set up and mics.

Todd and Patty have a discount for talkbass supporting members too :bassist:
  18. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    For instrument cables, I've been using only Spectraflex for the last 5 years or so. I love them, they coil much more nicely than other cables, and are very well built. I've never had a failure. I have had failures with Horizon and some other brands I can't recall.

For speaker cables, I used to have Terra labs cables, but now I use Planet Waves and the cheap Monsters in a nice heavy guage and they work perfectly well.
  19. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I use Evidence Audio for both instrument and amp/cab....they are reliable and sound great to my ear :bag:
  20. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I got 9 years out of my first Monster Cable before it went - and that was gigging at least twice a week, for 9 years. Every other cable I've ever owned didn't last a year, tops.

When it failed, I turned it in at GC for another free replacement, didn't have a receipt, didn't buy the old one there either. Everyone's experiences are different, but until they fail ME, I'll keep using them.