What brand of rack do you have?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ThePaste, May 26, 2001.

1. I'm ASSuming that a lot of you guys have racks, and I just wanted to see which one was most popular. i was thinking about getting something like a CubeTech or something like that from the music shop. Anyone heard of it?
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have a six space SKB rack. The lid got bent on an airplane trip and it has been a bear to put on ever since. I don't know anything about the rack case you mention. Sorry I can't help you on that one.
  3. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I've got a 4 space skb rack with an swr 350 and a korg toneworks strobe tuner.. Really dig it ;) It's all I need for a rack.
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    One of the heavy duty metal Road Ready racks...ATA, i believe. It's 8 space...I do NOT recommend getting anything anywhere NEAR that size...its a bitch to move.

The Road Ready cases are super heavy duty, which is great, but they're REALLY heavy.
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Boy, this could get ugly when one of the sarcastic old men gets in here and starts making breat implant jokes...
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    4 space SKB. i bought it used and it's been ok. the lid has been known to pop off occasionally, but it's not terribly heavy and seems to offer good protection.

7. I use a 6 space SKB out of necesity at the moment.

My preferance is Grundorf's shock mounted racks.
  8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Just depends on what you are going to use it for man! I now use a 4 space skb! But when i was touring to more shows and people moving my stuff that i didnt trust as much as me (nobody) I had a road case! Several co. build them but they are expensive! Alot of people like flight!
  9. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I recently got me a 12-space shock mount case form Engineered Case in Canada. (I'm in California). They had the most features for the best price that I found online. USA customers can also get a deal with the exchange rate. www.engineeredcase.com

Tube amps+X-Wire+other crap =big case.

It is heavy, but it has wheels, and I have a van, so its just easier for me to have it all togather instead of taking 2 or 3 different SKBs to the gig, and I can put my cab on top which is great for hearing yourself.
  10. I have 2 Grundorf 4-space racks. The furry ones with the covers that clamp on to the front and back. I like how solid they feel and they make good scratching posts for cats. I don't know how well they would stand up in road situations and they aren't shock protected. They seem really solid and I'm sure they would do fine.

- Dave
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have the usual standard rack with wood sides and aluminium corners, edges, lowered handles and stuff. Really sturdy.
    It houses 6 units, which is barely enough :D

But what I like most, the wood is painted translucent green (you can see the wood grain) - matches my Green Audio preamp and poweramp just fine :)
  12. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    4 space SKB.
  13. Had two SKB 4 space racks for about ten years now. No problems as yet.
    I did drill some small holes in the side of one, in the recess by the handle to line up with the fan on a Mesa 400+. Had an orig. diesel case for the Mesa but it was too heavy.

Anyone notice that when you open an SKB a few days after a gig that stale beer and cigarette smoke aromas emerge. :D
  14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Yeah smells like some kinda funky fart or somthing! Actually if you guys use a cab with carpet for gigs it will keep that smeel as well!