Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What brand of strings do you use?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by terms bassist, May 14, 2001.

1. I would just like to ask everyone what brand of strings do they use and why? because they are cheap, reliable, sound nice etc.
    I personally like to use DR. I don't really have any preference on gauge but .45 - 1.25 are best suited to my bass, they are very reliable so there's not major need to bring two sets of each string to a gig. they sound pretty good. and they a fairly expensive though but most of all what I like is that they last for ages.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just use fenders. Whatever type Strikes me. Right now I'm hooked on Tapercore's and they work pretty well for me. I'm not a big string buff. If I had the money, I'd go and get some "better" strings, and try a bunch, but the fact of the matter is, All I need, Fender strings satisfy.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    D'Addario XL, .45 - .130 5 string sets. Good quality, fairly inexpensive (not that I change them that often), but most of all they sound great (IMO, of course!). Full, round and warm, especially after they're "broken in" after a few weeks.

I prefer the D'Addarios over other strings I have owned: Ernie Ball Slinkys (they're nice, but XL's better), GHS Boomers (yuck), Trace Elliot (double yuck), EBS Northern Light (sound great, but cost a bit much), Warwick Red Label (pretty but sterile sound, low quality). I also have some experience with Fenders (so-so) and DR (don't know which model, but they were very nice).

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    DR Lo Riders and Rotosound RS66LD

5. I found DR Lowriders too abrasive on the fingers (though I totally loved the sound). Of course, I was coming off about 10 years of playing flatwounds.

My string preference right now are EB power Slinky's for rounds and Fender 9050ML for flats.

FF

6. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I like GHS these days. Reasonable price, reasonable consistency, reasonable quality. Medium Boomers for my P-Bass, Light Precision Flats for my Tacoma.

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Mainly, DR "Marcus", a.k.a., Fat Beams. I'd buy them at twice the price.

Webstrings makes the best strings for the money, that I've found. And they do make them, not just slapping their name on someone else's. But, they ain't no DR's.

8. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Roundwounds -- low tension, high output, long-lasting, and they grrrrrrrrowl....

9. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    DR Lowriders all the way. Bright but not harsh, IMHO, and they last and last!
    Sweet! Perfect for my Stingray.

10. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    DR makes good strings. They are a bit abrasive so they take some getting used to, but they are relatively inexpensive, and have a good lifespan if you take care of them right. That is just the brand that I have used for some time now, so I am reluctant to change. Getting old, I guess...

11. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    • T/I Jazz Flats...low tension, great feel, never have
      to change `em :p
    • T/I Acousticores...REALLY low tension (nylon core),
      will only work with piezo pups, round brass alloy wrap,
      'unique' tone
    • Rotosound Tru-Bass (RS88) tapes...good feel, medium
      tension, works with magnetic OR piezo pups, bright tone,
      'airy' / 'woody' thud.

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I was a Rotosound man for many years. Now I mainly use DR Lowriders 45/105. They sound good and last a long time.

13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I use Fender 7350Ms. They're cheap so I can change 'em often and they sound pretty good to my ear. I also don't have a lot of cash to try a lot of different strings.

14. I use DR Sunbeams on my passive fender '62 RI Jazz bass. I like the sound because it is on the bright side without the harshness of Stainless Steel.

I use DR HiBeams on my '75 Jazz with J-Retro because they are super bright Stainless and on the J-Retro I can dial out the finger noise.

On the '78 P-Bass there are DR LoRiders because it seems that they really brings out the P-Bass Vintage sound.

I just wish that DR strings were a little cheaper.

15. I like T/I Jazz Flats, on my fretless, smooth, good tone.

16. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    stainless fodera diamond series .45 - .130.

17. TI Jazz Flats on my six, Slowounds on my P.

18. Oysterman, can you quantify the yuck on the GHS at all? As a newbie bassist, my only experience is with a set of Boomers, and now a new set of Progressives .045 ~ .130. I have no brand loyalty as of now, so am just curious.

From my research, I'm thinking about trying EXL-165's or DR-Sunbeams next. I bought the Progressives and Roto RS66LDN nickels at a firesale just for play purposes.

I'm not interested in stainless rounds.

19. For my MIA Fender Jazz V, I use Dean Markley Blue Steels. (I love those strings).

20. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The pack of GHS Bass Boomers I used were, to my ears, very cold and metallic sounding, thin if you will, even after they were "broken in". I did not get the warm low mids I wanted from them, mids that I find the XL's to have plenty of. I also did not like the feel of the Boomers that much - they weren't awful, but I've felt better (but this might be because I wasn't used yet to the heavy gauge I had). But this is, as so many other things on TB, strictly IMO - my "yuck" can be your "yeehaw".