Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what brand of tube in your preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gingerbeer, Oct 7, 2005.

1. gingerbeer

gingerbeer

Jan 9, 2005
    i'm into changing the tubes in my préamp but the choice is broad.i actually have sovtek's but they are noisy .i want to know what you've experienced .is it a good idea to use 5771's.my goal is warm ,sweet old scool tone kinda portaflex .

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    For that kind of sound, either go JJ or N.O.S. tubedepot.com has some JAN-GE NOS 5751 tubes for 18 bucks each, which is not a bad price by any means.

3. Just re-tubed my SVP (newest GAS relief device) with EHs. Went from decent sounding & noisy as hell to perfectly silent with that lovely Ampeg growl & sparkle. Originally had Sovteks for the 12AX7s & "made in China" for the 12AU7. One heck of a positive difference!

Also retubed my '99 SVT-CL with all JJs. That, too sounds like everything it's supposed to be & more.

Can't say which is better, but the EHs sure are quiet while still having all the tone I could want. Next experiment is to swap the EHs for the JJs in the SVP. From what I can tell from listening to both right now, either would be a good choice.

Plus, the price of either will save you a quite a few $$$ over the NOS.

Good Luck!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what kind of preamp do you have? different preamps are voiced differently, so one tube in one preamp may sound totally different in another.

also, while swapping tubes is fun, IMHO, i like just going w/ whatever the manufacturer recommends or already uses in the preamp. they use regular, readily available tubes so that if one does go bad on you, you'll be able to easily find a replacement that'll sound just like it did before.

with that said, maybe you might wanna change your preamp. the Alembic F-1x has a terrificly fat, old school flavor.

5. gingerbeer

gingerbeer

Jan 9, 2005
    the preamp is SVT II P and it comes with sovtek's 12AX7WA wich are good enough for me but produce some hiss even if i tweack the biasing button .i've experienced the jj ECC83S in my DI box & love the tone but may be another brand ????
    EI Gold or the new Groove tubes 12AX7M (for Mullard) anyone have try theses ????

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Lots of tubes, lots of options. If you do a search on my name, "preamp" and "tube", you should find a lot.

Tom.

7. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Whatever works. Ideally, when I can afford it, Mesa. I know everyone says they're junk. Maybe I like junk.

8. Cougar207

Cougar207

Jun 17, 2005
    St. Charles, MO
    I just put some EH's in my pre. I had a lot of noise before and now it is dead silent and much more dynamic. Partsexpress.com has them for $8 and some change.

Matt

9. gingerbeer

gingerbeer

Jan 9, 2005
    in fact your blog give me the answers ,very useful .i hope other people can argue that way .thanks everybody .

10. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I really loving the Telefunkens in my F-2B preamp.

11. I've heard the Groove Tube "Mullards" are crap. No better than standard tubes. Real mullards (NOS) are supposed to be really nice tubes, but expensive. Almost as expensive as Telefunken NOS. Almost as good too though.

Randy

12. babyhuey

babyhuey

Sep 16, 2005
    AR
    I haven't been able to decide between EH or Ei Elite Golds...

13. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...ya get what ya pay for...& remember, the "NOS" tubes get harder every year to find that are actually usable in amps since they "don't make 'em like that anymore"...

my $0.02
    ~S~

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    EH IS SOVTEK. Most Groove Tubes are relabeled overpriced Sovteks. Same with Mesa tubes.

15. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    True EH's are made my sovtek but are made to specs that are not used by sovtek. Sam Adams ( depending on where you live) is made my Pabst brewing company, but it does not taste like pabst. I have not used a Sovtek that sounded like an EH

The Groove tube label dosn't mean much as far as tubes go. Your still getting the same tube as if you were to buy the brand name (just paying more) I have found no difference between the GT Tesla and a real one, the GT EH and a real one. Many people claim that Gt tubes are factory seconds, I dont agree. That does not make any sense, why would manufacturers like Mesa and Ampeg advertise the use of these tubes if they were crap. It's just business. Here's a funny thing, when I first purchased my Ampeg SVT there was a tag hanging fromt the handle that advertised the use of "groove tubes" . When I looked inside there were three 12ax7 tubes. One of them was a GT EH and the other two were regular label EH tubes. I switched them all around and It made no difference. I could be wrong on some of this, I am just judging with my ears and what I have read.

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've tried a few NOS G.E. 12AX7's in my Demeter preamp, but each started squealing only after a few month's use. I switched back to the E.H.12AX7 that Demeter uses stock. It sounds fine to me, they're available locally, and they're cheap. I thought the G.E. sounded a bit warmer, but the sound of the E.H. in my HBP-1 preamp is still really good IMO.

17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    i've had several EH tubes go microphonic on me, so I won't be using them anytime soon.

18. Thanks for saving me the time to type almost exactly what you said. A/B the 2 types and try to convince yourself that they're the same!