what brand strings do you use?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lithium, May 9, 2003.

1. lithium

lithium Guest

May 8, 2003
    i was wondering what brand strings you guys are using now and why?
  2. Think this one has come up before, but I'm happy to chime in. Right now I'm have DR Sunbeams on my P and some sort of nickel Ken Smith strings that I picked up cheap at NAMM on a Gibson Grabber. Very happy with both. I like a bright but full sound (sorry, not into the old school P-bass thump), but I won't use steel. Play rock/blues stuff mostly, and have always been a fingerstyle player. Tinkering with slap just to try something new.

Used GHS boomers for years, but will never go back. In comparison to the Sunbeams they are too noisy when you put them on, go dead too quickly, and seem to feel rougher to the touch. Sunbeams were less bright when I put them on, but seemed to break in quicker and remain more consistent in tone since I got them. I've boiled them once and cleaned them with acetone another.

Starting to lose their life a bit after about six months, so I'm going to switch soon. I don't play out at the moment, so your mileage may vary. Thinking about trying D'Addario XLs, but I've been so pleased by the Sunbeams that I'm afraid to try them.

Last thought -- don't do like I do sometimes and spend too much time thinking about these kinds of things!
  3. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    I've been using the infamous Dean Markley, Blue Steel Roundwounds - ML (.045 - .105)

After trying a number of different strings, both by suggestions and experimentation, I ended up with the Markleys, and haven't had any desire or need to string my bass otherwise.

- D' Addarios: too soft and dull sounding; I did use them briefly, for a past show I played in April - that included a lot of Motown and Classic Rock n' Roll numbers

- Fender Soft: similar to the D' Addarios, but didn't last as long

- Elixers: they sent a 'free' set to try and evaluate... couldn't get the intonation 'completely dialed in', wouldn't stay in tune, and that rubber coating stuff didn't wear evenly. Gave them bad marks on the evaluation and they wrote back offering another set to try. Accepted their offer, but never received another set, nor heard from them again since...

I play a 71' - Fender 'P' w/rosewood neck. The Markley's sound farty, crisp, and give me the punch I like to hear from my rig. They last several months and are not over priced... you can often get them for about $5 U.S. per set at the last day of the N.A.M.M. convention!

Don't know if any of this will help you along... michael s.
  4. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    TI Flats, nothing comes close:bassist:
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    dr's. they last forever, have a great growl and tightness to them. Fender taperwounds are really good, too. I got away from Ernie Ball strings. They used to be my fav, but they just have a funky sound to me anymore. Elixirs were too expensive, never sounded quite right, and went dead faster than any other string, which was REALLY wierd. I don't think I'll spend that much on strings again.
  6. Rotosound Flats. Nice thump and low end for jazz, and they last forever. Never really tried much else
  7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    On four-string basses, I'm pretty flexible. I like GHS Boomers, Everly B-52 Rockers, Rotosound 66's, TI Jazz Rounds, Peavey Cirrus strings, and probably some others. However, on the six, where I've had trouble with B strings dying, I'm leaning pretty hard in the direction of LaBella. On my Peavey six, Hard-Rockin Steels are nearly perfect. My Cort Curbow 6 seems to need that nickel punch, so I'll probably try Slappers on it next.
  8. [​IMG]

Great feel.

Great tone.
  9. Ernie Ball Slinkys, they have this slightly grindy and unrefined sound