Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What brands for good low end sound ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Damian, Sep 22, 2000.

1. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    Since my band will start giging withing the next month or two, I decided to start shopping for a complete bass rig.

I need about 400-800W of power and good low bottom sound but also clear and punchy when nedded. What would you recommend ?

The thing is that I live in Little Rock, AR ( I'm not from here though ) and there is almost no chance for me to try all those amps and cabs on the market - BECAUSE there is almost NOTHING available to try ! except maybe one SWR350 and 410 :(

Anyway, I was in Chicago few weeks back and tried few of them. I loved the Eden sound, but I can't afford it right now. I also like the clear and punchy sound of SWR. I've never tried Carvin but would be very interested ( I almost own LB75 from Carvin and the price is very nice even for a 1000W one ). I love the Hughes & Kettner sound the most but it's expensive too so ....

What do you think would be the best choice ? I know everyone has diffrent taste and diffrent opinions about every and each brand but .... what would you do in that case ?

Thanks in advance.

2. geo?

geo?

Mar 29, 2000
    How much are you looking to spend? That would be a major deciding factor.

If you can afford it, the Bass 350 with a Big Bertha provides a lot of lows with quite a bit of punch, but really (and I'm sure you'll hear this alot) it's all a matter of taste. Because this is obviously a major investment, it would be in your best interest to take your bass with you to Chi-town and try out as many rigs as you can. Try to balance cost with performance and understand that everything sounds different once you get it home (or on stage for that matter).

-geo?

3. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    I think $1500 is the MOST I can spend right now. I'm sure I'll get what I really want - Eden or Hughes - by April or May next year as soon as I get settled in here and get more comfortable playing in US. I know it's all a metter of taste but I just want to hear what brands and their models provide the best low end sounds that YOU LIKE and why you prefer them from others.

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Man, I would get a Carvin Full Stack Rig.
    The RL1018 , 1000 Watts... 4x10 and 1x18..
    Thats Punch + Deep = FULL BLAST.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmmm. For $1500, I think you could get an Eden WT-400 and a D-210XLT. Get the 8-ohm cab, so you can buy a 410, 115 or 118 to put under it later. Just drive a hard deal at GC.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I just bought (and traded for)a used Eden Metro yesterday for $900. It's loud. Not exactly what I want so back it goes.

I thinks amps are a bit more risky to buy used than basses.

7. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    Thanks guys for all the info.
    What about a Hartke HA4000 or 3500 with 4.5XL and 115 or 215XL under it ? You think Carvin stack will have more bottom that Hartke or SWR 350 with Big Bertha ?

All of them will be around the same as far as the money goes.

8. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    That much will get you a new Sunn 300 T or their 1200S with their 4x10 cab.Both are very nice heads with PLENTY of power.You will NOT have to replace them down the road.Their are better cabs but not for the same price(around 350).Ampegs new B5R head is supposed to be excellent as well though ive not had a chance to try one yet.Good luck!

9. Bernie, I was at GC when a guy was testing (and bought) a B5R. Man, that thing could PUMP! It was driving an SWR 4x10 and was kicking ass. That amp is a solid foundation for a stack. Personally, if I needed to move a lot of air, I would consider a 4x10, the Sunn 1400s that Bernie suggested, and a either a 1x15 or even another 4x10, just to maintain SOME level of portability, as opposed to going SVT 8x10 or Megoliath. My friend Steve has one of those Sunns and he never even gets close to making that thing sweat, and he's driving an SWR SOB, Eden 210XLT, and Bag End 1x15 (just for the drummer so he can have his own bass monitor...yes, he's a VERY loud drummer!).

10. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    I was just surfing around and comparing prices and look what I found!

What about:

SWR 350 - $550
    SM-500 - $950

and all others from $50-$150 less then all the MusiciansFriend's prices.

I found them at http://www.wholesalemusic.com/

You have to send the email to the guy and ask for retail prices. I hope it's not something that you already know :)

Damian

11. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    Well,

I was in Chicago the other day and spent few hours in GC trying all those amps and cabs and .. MAN gotta love Eden.
    I know it's much more expensive than Carvin or Hartke, but I believe it's gonna last for a long time and it excactly has the same sound I hear it in my head :)

Anyway, I don't think I'm gonna afford more then WT-500 but there is an issue about the hiss so I don't know what should I do.

I wanna get just one cabinet now ( buy another one later on ) and a head. So, If I would like to have 410XLT and 115XLT later on, what amp should I get for the best results to drive those 2 cabs ? At least WT-600 huh ?

Any other ideas ? Do you think 210 and 115 is also enough for a small to big size gigs ?

Thanks for all the info

Damian

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that the WT500 with a D210XLT and D115XLT would be plenty loud for any small to medium size venue, and give you more portability and little lower cost than 410 & 115.

13. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    Thanks embellisher,

Hmm, what you guys think about getting a pre-amp WT-100 and for example - Carvin power amp ? The price is going to be almost the same but with plenty of power. Anyone has that kinda combination ?

I think I'll be with either WT-400 or 500 and D210XLT and 115 later on, but I'm just looking for alternatives :)

Thanks

14. The WT-100 is the best piece Eden makes, in my opinion. And although my personal preference is for QSC power amps, I've heard some good reports about the Carvins.

15. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    I can only guess at what you mean by "low end sound" but I think you'll be happier with a 4x10 than a 2x10. You may even find that it gives you enough volume and boom on its own, particularly if you're going to push it with 400-500 watts.

16. Hey Damian, I've got the WT-500 and I've had no problems with hiss at all, though I'm not saying others haven't had problems with them, but I think the folks at Eden have helped solve the problem. My WT-500 was made this year so they might have found out what the problem was. Anyhow, I also got myself a 210-T, not the XLT, which I would have liked too but the 210-T has a LOT of bass also and sounds great. It's also just a few bucks cheaper, a little lighter, and slightly smaller. I run it with my Peavey 115 BX BW and they sound great together, very HUGE and DEEP, but I'm looking to get rid of the Peavey and hopefully get another 210 or the 115 XLT cabinet soon.

The nice thing about the WT-500 is that it's very versatile as far as channels go. You can also upgrade the power amp section later on if you want to, either to 600 watts or 800 I think. I'd check the Eden website. Anyhow, if you go with the WT-500, I'd rather get 4 ohm cabinets if you only plan on using two of them, but if you get just a single cab, the 410 XLT perhaps, I'd get that as an 8-ohm version so I could bridge the amp and run 500 watts into the cab. Personally, I prefer to take the smaller cab route though because I do a lot of small gigs and 210s fit into a car way better than one 410 does, so remember what's important to your situation (and your back!).

17. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    Well,

I couldn't just sit at home and let my brain decide what should I get, so I decided to go to the music store.
    Since there is no an Eden dealer around, I went to one of the stores that sell SWR gear. Took my bass with me and hooked it up with SM-500, 2X10" and 1X18". MAN! The store was SHAKING!!!! It wasn't boomy but clear and powerfull. I loved it.

Now, I'm completely lost. You know it's hard to compare 2 diffrent amps or cabs without trying them side by side.

Any addition info on what would be better choice ? I like them both ( Eden and SWR ) of course there is a diffrence but not that big. I maybe wrong in here but I think SWR sound kind of a "modern" comparing to Eden don't you think so ?

Anyway, I need your help guys. That really s**** that I can't try all those amps at once so I'm gonna have to choose one based on the specifications and your opinions.

If I decide to go with SWR: Do you think it would be better to go with Grand Prix and a Crown or QSC power amp then SM-500? I really don't need more then 500W but I don't feel like selling the amp in 2 months in order to get more power.

Is there a big diffrence in sound between both of them ?

Sorry for all this questions but you opinion REALLY MATTERS to me.

18. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    Ok, guys, I need your help here.

I was in Dallas, TX last weekend and spent some time at 2 GC's locations. I made up my mind and I decided to go with EDEN. No questions about it. I have to decide which amp to get with 410XLT to be able to drive it alone to the end of the year and be able to put something under ( 115 or 118 or maybe even 210 ). I'm thinking about getting WT-500 because I can upgrade it later if neccessary. The problem is with the cabinets. If I get an 8ohm cab now (with WT-500), I can run it bridged for now at full power but I won't be able to buy another 8ohm later on and still run it bridged or even stereo at an optimal power, even If I decide to upgrade it to WT-800. There is more options but none of them seem to be the right one.

Thanks for any help.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    bmm bmm bmm bmm ... Eden Eden bo-beden bananapana fo-feden fee fie mo-meden ... EDEN. Well, you made the right choice, but why go with 500 watts now, then "upgrade" to 800 in the spring? Resale on Eden is good, but you're still going to lose several hundred bucks. Sell your sister.

20. Damian

Damian

Jul 4, 2000
    Munjibunga,
    Unfortunetely I don't have one, but I could sell my fianc... naaaaah ;):)

Just want to make the right decision and in addtion I'm limited as far as the money goes (just now, but need the gear now), so here it goes:

Can I run WT-500 into 4ohm D-410XLT alone ? ( so I can add D-410XLT or D-210XLT later ).?

Thanks