1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What brands use round cores?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by asberrys, Nov 24, 2010.

1. asberrys

asberrys

Sep 7, 2009
    DR says that round cores are rare. Most strings have octagonal cores.The corners of the octagons grip the wrap better and I would imagine keep the wrap from slipping and help the string last longer.
    What brands are comparable to Fatbeams then?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DR makes the most roundcore strings I know of. HiBeams, Sunbeams, FatBeams, and ExtraLifes are all round core strings.

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I haven't taken a look at them, but I think my Circle K's might have a round core.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Pretty sure Circle K are hex core.

5. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Pyramid, Dean Markley and Newtone beside DR off the top of my head. Sfarzo makes something supposedly unique which they call rouded hex which implies some sort of hybrid. Feel and tone of roundcore DR sets I tried on my guitars was nice but they are susceptible to unraveling during installation so watch out!

6. ilmaio

ilmaio

Sep 3, 2009
    Cremona - Italy
    Fender's 8250 are round core.

7. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Pretty sure the R. Cocco strings are round core, but their website is annoyingly vague. Anybody know for sure?

8. TI Jazz Rounds and Flats are round core. Past that DR are the only other round cores that I have played or know off the top of my head.