1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What Bridge Is This:

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by HossPete, Jan 19, 2012.

1. HossPete

HossPete

Jan 19, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I recently picked up a custom Explorer-style bass off of Craigslist. It's a beautiful black walnut/maple body and neck, with all the wiring done. Need to toss in a set of j-bass and p-bass pickups and string it up, and it'll be done...BUT...

I'm having a helluva time figuring out which bridge it is drilled for.

It is a string-thru (4-string), but the five mounting screws are drilled BEHIND the string-thru holes. I thought maybe it was for a Wilkinson, but that doesn't seem to be it. Anybody got any ideas what kind of string-through bridge has the mounting holes behind the string holes?

Attached Files:

2. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I think you forgot to post a picture. :bag:

3. HossPete

HossPete

Jan 19, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I didnt' forget...just don't have one of the bridge area. Will post when I get one. Thought the set-up description of five mounting holes behind four string-through holes might jar someones memory...

Will post pic when I get one tonight.

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    LMAO Hoss, every Fender replacement bridge has 5 screw holes behind the string through holes. Or I should say "Most"....LOL

5. HossPete

HossPete

Jan 19, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    See - that's the deal. I wasn't thinking Fender. It's an Explorer copy, so I was looking Gibson, then Hipshot, then Gotoh...

This was a custom-build, didn't figure the guy would have put a stock Fender bridge on it. Guess sometimes you need to start at the start, eh?

Thanks

6. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    yeah Hoss, Fender, and Fender replacement pieces are by far the most common and easiest to acquire, shoot us a pic, and we'll help ya out

7. HossPete

HossPete

Jan 19, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Here is the hole pattern... what will fit?

ForumRunner_20120119_151952.

8. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Not hipshot (Type A is 3bolt for "fender" mount.....Type A and Type B are 4)..........I'd say Fender style, wouldn't be leo quan (no string through, although a BA II might fit, it's 5 bolt).

Could be an "Asian" made bridge.......

9. HossPete

HossPete

Jan 19, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    Well, I talked to the guy who built this hog, and asked him. His response? "I don't remember. Some Hipshot thing, but I can't remember the model. It was a couple of years ago, so they might not even make it anymore."
    Thanks for the help, dude... So, we are back to the start - what fits this?
    (I did send an e-mail to Hipshot directly, asking them if they knew. We will see what they say)

10. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    As long as you align the string through holes properly, you can fill the screw holes and re drill for any string through bridge.

In case this wasn't mentioned, thus opening up hundreds of possibilities. ;)

11. HossPete

HossPete

Jan 19, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    True... as long as the new bridge covers up the old (filled) holes, I guess I could.

I was kind of looking for the "easy answer" - I'm always a little trepiditious around power tools and precise measurements.

Guess I could break down and take it to a tech... sigh... trying to avoid that, though.

12. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Check your PM's

13. HossPete

HossPete

Jan 19, 2012
    Nashville, TN