1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What bridge makes the bass sound the most bright possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by b4ss_pl473r, Nov 20, 2018.

1. b4ss_pl473r

b4ss_pl473r

Nov 4, 2017
    I would like to change the bridge on my sire v7 (the stock one is broken) and I need a lot of treble because I slap a lot. Yes, I know that bridge makes a little difference in sound, but I want to be sure on which one sounds the most clear and punchy before putting money into one.
    As far as I know now the best one for me would be the ksm foundation...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Find the one you think will be brightest, since it's far and away mostly in your head, you won't be disappointed.

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Some people seem to believe aluminum bridges provide a brighter tone. You might want to look at something like an aluminum Hipshot A-style bridge.

4. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    How did you manage that?

Zooberwerx likes this.
  5. b4ss_pl473r

b4ss_pl473r

Nov 4, 2017
    The intonation isn't stable at all and when I play it makes some annoying noises, but ataleast doesn't make the instrument completely unplayable

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It shall be the bridge mounted with the brighterst sounding strings.
    Unless it is made of nylon or sports a mute, any bridge will have pretty much the same brightness.

jthisdell and JRA like this.
  7. JesterJoker010

JesterJoker010

Nov 4, 2018
    A bridge with build in piezo pickups.

8. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Hipshot makes really nice replacement bridges
    I’d look into what they offer

A Hipshot “A” model bridge (either aluminum or brass) paired with stainless roundwound string will yield a lovely slap sound

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  9. Hardness matters.
    Find out what each candidate bridge is made of & then look up the Brinell hardness factor for each one.

Warhawk likes this.
  10. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    I put a Babicz bridge on my V7. Here you go.

Attached Files:

11. On my '77 Fender, there's the classic 'bent sheet' bridge like this. It always had a problem that the screws adjusting the height of saddles are too loose. This is solved by applying a little of nail polish on the rightly set bridge, just where the screw thread meets the saddle. Just so that the screws won't turn on itself. You might try this on your bridge; be careful not to fill in the socket heads so you can readjust later.

For another bass, I had some bridge recommended to me by luthier (Wilkinson maybe... cant remember). The saddles in that bridge held quite steadily and I had the feeling I didn't like it; I felt that for slap, the classic fender bridge is very cool, as - if the action is low - the bridge stones can move away when you pop the string, and then bounce back on the bridge adding some to the desired metalic clang. So I changed the bridge to this. It sounded better, but I was awaiting more; I think they make it from other, less flexible metal nowadays, that sounds more plastic than the real old stuff. Maybe the material used is more important than the design.

Then I came across Badass Bass II bridge, which suits me best, even though the saddles don't move a bit. It has the clang, and it also has the 'deep wood' in the sound, altogether coloring the sound pallete into the 'contemporary' spectrum. I think that this is the bridge Marcus Miller uses; it was big in the 80s. I hear that Leo Quan doesn't make original Badass bridges anymore, but ebay says otherwise, this one looks just like the one I got (no string rails in the saddles) except mine is chromed. Fender's manufacturing a similar copy, I haven't checked it out. I'm sure other manufacturers are making similar design too.

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

as others are saying/intimating: the brightest bridge is the string choice. another bright sounding bridge could be your amp/EQ settings.

GBBSbassist likes this.
  13. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    If you really want a brighter sound have your preamp bypassed direct to the output.
    You won't be able to use the EQ,but it will be brighter.

14. b4ss_pl473r

b4ss_pl473r

Nov 4, 2017
    Did the screw holes match up?

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Huh? Given your description, it sounds more like a poor set-up or improperly installed strings and not a hardware deficit.

Riis

walterw likes this.
  16. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    There won't be much difference in tone between quality bridges, however, how one mounts the bridge to the body of the bass will make a difference. Ensuring a solid mechanical connection between the bridge and body will go a long way. Some people even sink a block of brass, steel, or aluminum epoxied into the body, with threaded screw holes for the bridge mounting.

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    like @Zooberwerx says, that doesn't at all mean "broken". that mostly sounds like old strings and maybe it's out of adjustment.

put fresh stainless steel strings on there and you'll probably be fine.

18. This is the best answer for almost anything. :thumbsup:
    Thank you for teaching it to me.

19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    OMG!!! A Marcus Miller bass that sounds like :poop: when slapped? Whoa! :laugh: