1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What bridge should I get for this body?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dwagner, Feb 10, 2020.

1. dwagner

dwagner Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2013
    North Dakota, USA
    It's a "62' Style American 5 String Jazz Body".
    What kind of bridge should I order for this thing? It looks like it has 5 holes there for the bridge to go (unless these are just holes for doing string through if desired?) but I'm not really seeing any 5 screw bridges. I was hoping to go Hipshot.
    Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 9.10.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 9.31.19 PM.png
    What do you guys think?
    I was thinking maybe I want the "A-Style" Hipshot bridge? Does that mean its for the American style 5 string bodies? Sorry if this is a newbie question. :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Zooberwerx likes this.
  2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Following with interest as I have the same situation: 5 string, 19 mm spacing, 5 hole configuration...and I need gold!

Sorry for the derail and best wishes with the search!

Riis

3. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I think those holes are too close to the neck for an A style bridge. Look at the depth of the saddles and how far forward that will move the intonation point for the B string. Contact the maker and ask what bridge they had in mind. I'd have a hard time buying from someone that didn't divulge that information up front. Without knowing what it is drilled for, I would look at either the Gotoh 205B-5 or the Fender Deluxe Active Jazz 5; both have saddle intonation points that retract back to the screw holes
    JAPARTS : Gotoh Bass Bridges - 205B-5
    Fender Bass Bridge for Deluxe Active Jazz/J Bass 5 String, Mexico

incidentally here's a Hipshot that may fit too (Too rich for my blood though.)
    5 String Vintage Bass Bridge

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Lownote38 and Rapisme like this.
  4. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    They're definitely bridge screw holes - but I'm not sure what bridge you need, I'd guess a standard Fender style bridge or after market drop-in replacement should work, but really you should measure the distance between the screw holes and the neck pocket. I assume this body is meant for a 20-fret neck - that definitely makes a difference.

5. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    I might be wrong...

But, if that's a strictly Fender -sizes and dimensions body, I don't think Fender has any fivers with 19mm spacing currently. So, to find a neck to fit the body, and a bridge to match both neck dimensions and pickups, you might be looking at a 18mm spacing...

6. dwagner

dwagner Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2013
    North Dakota, USA
    Just talked to the seller, those are pilot holes for string through (if desired).

7. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Schaller Roller Bridge.jpg My rule of thumb; when in doubt, go with Schaller. In your case? the 5-string gold version of this little beauty. But, in all fairness; it's not a string-thru bridge. Which, IMO, is a plus, but maybe you won't think so...:unsure:

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021