Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what cab? @ 4 ohms...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by emielow, Jun 6, 2005.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    im planning to buy a ebs hd 350 head, wich has 350 watt @ 4 ohms..

WHAT head is best fot this top, about 500 dollars, i think a 2x10, maybe 2x12

any ideas?

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    You could get an Avatar 210 and 112 for around $500, and a 212 for around $300.

3. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    but the 2x10 is 600 watt, the top only 350, does it matter?

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Nope. As long as you don't go significantly over the rating it wouldn't hurt things.

If you order a 210 I would recomend getting it in 8ohms, most people don't find 210s have enough bottom by themselves. An 8ohm 210 would let you pair it with an 8ohm 115, 112, or even a 212 for more thickness on the bottom without going under the lowest impeadence your head can handle.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    nice head.

i 2nd the opinion that if you go with a 2x10 get an 8 ohm one. In fact, the volume difference between using an 8 ohm cab and a 4 ohm cab with most heads is pretty minimal (i've tried it with 8 ohm and 4 ohm eden cabs that were otherwise identical). To me, you're almost always better off getting an 8 ohm cab because you always have the option of adding another 8 ohm cab if you need extra volume. Two 8 ohm 2x10 cabs will be noticeably louder than one 4 ohm 2x10. :D

6. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    but if you have two cabinets 600 watt @ 8 ohms, the head will have to blow 1200 watt @ 4 ohms??

i dont understand. if connected one 400 watt @ 8 ohm cabinet, the head will only have 240 watt..

so it doesn't matter if you add a 600 watt @ 8 ohm cabinet to a 350 watt @ 4 ohm head

(onthe ebs site they say the head will also handle 2 ohms.. in the FAQ:

Q: I have an EBS HD350 driving an EBS-410 and EBS-15F cab both rated 4 ohms.

With both cabs plugged into the head I am down to 2 ohms load.

My question is: The head is rated at 350 watts output. What will be the output at 2 ohms running both cabs and what would be the output at 4 ohms if I use just one cab?

A: The continuous output power would still be 350W, even if you load the amp with one or two 4 ohms cabinets.

One difference though, the total peak power increases by nearly 20% if you load the amp down to 2 ohms.

so what can i do?

7. It does not matter at all if you run a lower powered head into speakers capable of handling more power. The only way you can get into trouble is significantly overdriving the amp (i.e., having to turn it up so much that it distorts, which can really mess up speakers.

The 350 can run at 2ohms, but EBS does not recommend it. Most amps that are 'capable' of running at 2 ohms probably shouldn't be. The EBS 650 and the iAmp800 are the only two amps I've ever seen where the manufacture actually recommends running them at 2ohms. Other heads (like the Mesa stuff) say they can run at 2ohms, but the documentation recommends against it.

I had an EBS350 for a short time (it's actually for sale for a VERY reasonable price at Low Down Sound in Detroit). It's a really loud 350 watts (they use some sort of 'rail switching' design... whatever it is, it's loud!).

So, pushing a 500 watt or 800 watt cab with the 350 is no problem... I would not run it at 2ohms though.

8. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    ok thanx!

so the head can run two 2x10 avatar neo amps (600 watt @ 4/8 ohms)
    so if i order a avatar 2x10 neo (600 watt) should i take the 4 or 8 ohm? i first buy one 2x10 (dont know what cab yet, maybe aguilar gs210)

9. If you are eventually going to get two cabs, then I would get 8ohm cabs. That way, you will have a 4ohm load when using both cabs, which allows you to use virtually any head/amp out on the market. If you buy the first cab in the 4ohm version, that will result in more power from the head to that cab, but will limit your possibilities later on when you want to add another cab (i.e., another 4ohm cab would result in the amp seeing a 2ohm load).

So, I would get your first 210 at 8ohms and see how you like it. If you need more volume, adding another 210 or 115, etc. at 8ohms will move more air and will take the total ohmage seen by the amp down to 4ohms, resulting in more power.

10. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    ok thanx!

but it's no problem in the future, i run for example a :

600 watt 2x10 @ 8 ohms + a 500 watt 1x12 @ 8 ohms

so that will be 1100 watt @ 4 ohms,

my head only has 350 watt @ 4 ohms :meh: :rolleyes: :rollno: :confused:

11. Don't worry about your head wattage at all... it will sound great!

12. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    but why woul'dn't i worry about my head wattage???

WHY IS THERE HEAD WATTAGE ANYWAY?

13. There's been a lot of threads and discussions about this. Of course, a 1000 watt head will be louder than a 100 watt head (all other things being equal). However, most players will not notice a huge difference in volume or sound between a 300 watt head and a 500 watt head, for example. The key is to not overdrive your head (i.e., push it so much that, for example, you are trying to get so loud with a head that you run out of clean headroom).

So, if your 350 watt head starts to distort while you are playing, then going to a much higher wattage head is justified. However, so much depends on your style of playing (e.g., slapping on a B string will quickly make most lower powered heads run out of headroom... playing on a 4 string with a more midrange sound fingerstyle won't push an amp as much).

So, the whole point here is that you won't be doing harm by running a lower powered amp into 'higher powered' speakers. If (and only if) you need more volume than your 350 watt amp can put out would you be justified in spending more money for a high powered amp.

And, just to make things more confusing, different amp wattage (depending on the design, type of power supply, preamp design, and honesty of the manufacturer!) can sound very different volume-wise. The EBS350 is louder sounding than some 500 watt amps, etc.

I personally like an amp with a lot of power since I do play a 5 string and tend to use the 'slap' style of playing on occasion, which really pushes both amp and speaker.

Hope this makes sense. Maybe someone else can chime in.

14. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    head wattage means how many watts your head will put out. Cabinet rating is how much wattage a cab can handle. As long as you aren't putting more wattage into a cab than it can handle, you'll be fine. :)

15. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    but i have heard stories that you''ll blow your amp that way :rollno: :confused:

16. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    you've heard wrong stories.

17. No way! The only way to blow up an amp (that isn't otherwise defective) is running it into too low of a load (i.e., 2ohms when the amp has a minimum 4ohm rating) or running it so hard as to be stupid (with it just running so distorted for so long that it would be obvious that you were doing something wrong.

18. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    but the cabs don't want the full power?

i am a cab, i can handle 600 watts, and i only get 200, so i will not blow as hard as i could :spit: :spit: :rolleyes:

19. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    The rating a cab is given is basically an estimate as to how much power it can handle without blowing up. But, even rwith your 350 watts, you will rarely be pushing your cab with that much power, except on your peaks.

FWIW, right now, I'm running a 1600 watt amp, into a 600w cabinet. Granted, it's not even close to turned up. :)

20. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    this is what ebs mailed to my question:

Hi,

You can use one 4ohm cab or two 4ohm (2 ohms) cabs the same thing with 8ohm cabs! (4 ohms)
    Important is that you don´t go below 2ohms!

Good luck!