Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What cab are you using with your Walter Woods amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tworock, May 20, 2003.

1. tworock

tworock

Mar 10, 2003
    I talked to Walter today, and I'm getting my Hi Power on Monday. I'm just curious about what cabs sound great with the WW heads...thanks

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't have a Walter Woods amp. Sorry.

3. tworock

tworock

Mar 10, 2003
    You could have at least made something up :)

4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I've tried several cabs and prefer the EA CXL's, preferably the older ones made from birch. A lot of people like the Bergie 12's but I thought the EA sounded more natural. The EA VL's sound good too! IMHO

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Holy Crap!!!!

Steve, how the heck did you get a WW so quickly? i thought the wait time was a little over a year?!

6. tworock

tworock

Mar 10, 2003
    Joker, I called him today and left a message asking whether he had any amps coming up that were unspoken for. He called back within an hour and said I could have a Hi Power head immediately. So I overnighted the funds. It might even be here on Friday. I'll have to make do with this until my DB750 arrives ;)

How do you think it will sound with the Epi UL210??

7. this really isn't my business but..

i'm assuming that's his... 750 watt model?
    how much are you paying for it?

(My response to your answer)
    HOLY CRAP! I assume that's American... So that turns out to about.... My parent's life savings in Canadian...

Time to start saving...

~Zentner

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dangnabit!

some guys have all the luck dont they... oh well... :p ;)

if anything, a Walter Woods & Epifani setup would be a great rig for fingerstyle, slap, jazz, and whatever else you can throw at it. but, any good hifi sounding cab will be able to reap the most benefits from the amp. EA, Epifani, Bergantino, Acme, Bag End, Accugroove, etc.

IME, i've heard a WW thru a Bag End 2x10 & 1x15 setup at the NYC guitar show when i was demoing Matt Pulcinella's candy apple red jbass. it was my first time with a WW, and needless to say, i was quite blown away. this seems to have been popular in their heyday. and with good reason. the Bag's gave the WW's a nice chewy midrange.

i've also heard a WW Ultra Hi Power thru a pair of Epifani 4x10's that a customer brought in when i visited the shop one day, and was nothing short of astounded. not quite as chewy sounding as the Bag's, but had more singing highs, deeper & clearer lows, and a smoother tho still smokey midrange voice. SO MUCH clearer than the Bag End's, and had lots of power thru that puny little box.

Our own Andrew Jones has an Ultra Hi Power w/ two Bergantino 1x12's, and i bet that rig rocks hard with both his Fodera's and German uprights. i can only imagine how the glossy, gooey, and glassy highs & mids of the Bergie's beautifully compliment that clear as sky WW tone. hopefully, he'll chime in here. now, if i can only find an apt. close enough to his... :p

still, the only downsides i can think of, are that the WW wont be as fat, nor have the grindy churn of an all tube Ampeg head or maybe even like the DB750. not exactly known to be a rock 'n roll or punk rock amp. but, its nothing a nice Sansamp Bass DI in the effects loop wont fix to add a little bit of dirt to that hifi WW tone.

but again, congrats, Steve! with the Aguilar DB750, you'll have quite a rig there. then again, i have a feeling you're gonna send back that 50 lbs. beast after you've held the wee little WW in the palm of your hand. ;)

i know this is gonna be your first rig, but soon, you'll realize it'll definitely be your last.

9. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    My Walter plays through EA Cxl cabs for me too. Works really well with upright or active basses. My passive ones have needed some kind of outboard preamp to get me what I need.

10. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    tworock:
    I had the same thing happen. I called up just for pricing purposes and asked about the wait. He said some guy from Japan didn't have the rest of the money for his amp and I overnighted funds and got amp in 3 days.

I've been using my ultra high with EA Vl110 and Cxl 112. I love this setup and use it 95 percent of time. For gigs when I'm not in PA I'll use two Cxl112s. More than enough with the WW.

11. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I had a DB750, got tired of hauling it around REAL FAST!! A 1200 watt WW does the job! You might also consider the EA iAmp 800, 19 lbs!![​IMG]

12. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    The High Power(Green Light) is a 300 watts @ 8 ohms, 450 watts @ 4 ohms. The Super High Power(Amber Light) is 450 watts @ 8 ohms, 650 @ 4 ohms. And the Ultra High Power(Blue Light) is 800 watts @ 8 ohms, 1200 watts @ 4 ohms.

Prices are $1450, $1750, and $2150 respectively.

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I am bummed :(

I have been waiting patiently TWO YEARS for my Hi Power amp.

Maybe I should call him every $%#@#$ week and see who's ahead of me without money.

Luckily I already have an older MI-200-8 head :D Since you asked, I use that with Bergantino and Epifani 1-12" cabinets.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Brian, you can't possibly be on Walter's list if you've been waiting two years. Nobody has ever had to wait two years for a Woods. Give Walter a call.

15. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I agree, something's not right!

16. tworock

tworock

Mar 10, 2003
    Joker, the WW is probably not the best rig for my current needs, but I have to give it a go. But who knows, I may just love it. It will always be good to have around for a grab and go. I'm also concerned about the weight of the DB750. At 43 lbs plus the weight of a rackbag, it's a bear. It will weigh 15 lbs more than my Epi 210. Depending on how much I like the WW, I may cancel the DB750 altogether. It's not due until mid-June anyway. I gotta tellya, I'm loving this bass thing. I may never go back to guitar. Can you explain the DI thing to me. I read somewhere else that a guy was using an Aguilar DB 900 to warm up his WW. How does that work exactly? I can't wait to plug my Celinder into the WW. I feel like a kid a Christmas :)

17. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Dude, I don't think you'll need to warm up your WW. Just get a good active DI that's portable and has an isolation transformer(the WW has an awful hum without the transformer) or a passive DI and you're set. Many people are referring to the older WW when talking about warming them up, they were very sterile.

If you're looking for a great second amp that's half the price of the DB750 and half the weight, check out the EA iAmp 800.

18. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a brand new iAMP800 for sale cheaper than you can get them for anywhere else. It's not my thing but many people seem to dig them.

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nope Tworock, you'll LOVE IT!

seriously, once you've unloaded a 50 lbs. head and 120 lbs. worth of cab @ 3am, you too will start to realize the 7 lbs. genius of Walter Woods.

but "plugging in your Tube DI", all you do is take the send coming from your amp's loop, plug into the 1/4" in of your DI, then take the 1/4" out from the DI, into the return of your loop. voila, tubey tone!

and, the DI's have that all important XLR out that allows you to send a signal to the soundman where he can put your bass tone in the house mains. in the bass world, this can be a godsend especially when you're fighting 50-100 watt stacks.

FYI, i just bought an Acoustic Image Clarus 1 400A for my jazzy low key pickup gigs, and its kinda like the baby brother to your WW. similar small lightweight box, just without the WW "mystique". ;)

it too has an effects loop, and i've been getting incredible tubey tones using my old SIB FatDrive! i've also got a Demeter Tube DI that i use for my acoustics, and putting that into the loop sounds just as amazing as well! IMHO, its a bit fatter than the Aguilar, but i've heard guys say otherwise.

btw, you can use any tubey flavored mic preamp like a little ART Tube MP, or like my SIB FatDrive. but if your WW doesnt have a DI out, it might be best to get a Tube DI or the "solid-state-tho-tubey-sounding" Sansamp so you can get that Tubey flavor but also have a DI out for that all important XLR out.

good luck!

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Man, those two rigs gives me shivers...

and he has TWO FARKIN' WW's?!?!?!?!?

is there any justice in the world?!?!?!?

:bawl: