What Cab best produces Low B Fundamental?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freshelfpie, Jun 6, 2005.

1. freshelfpie

Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Love my five string G&Ls, and am considering another 5'er, but does anyone know which bass cabinets best produce the fundamental tone of the low B? Also, what frequency is that note, anyway? Thanks.
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    31 Hz. Accugroove will do it (and below it-the Whappo Grande goes down to 22 Hz), and I believe the Acme Low B cabs will do it as well at a 6 decibel cut.
  3. The frequency of the B string fundamental is approximately 33hz. Your question is interesting because some cabs that produce the best sounding B string (IMO) roll off well above that. The industry standard for years was the Eden 410XLT, which has quite a roll-off below about 50 hz. That cab has one of the best B string sounds around.

I'm sure you are going to get a lot of differences of opinion, but here's my take. a) This is somewhat of an over-generalization, but cabs that are tuned really low take a lot more power, since low frequencies take more wattage to pump out than higher frequencies. b) the low B fundamental can sound quite boomy in many situations

So, to me, the more 'efficient' cabs that roll off a little bit higher (Epifani, Eden, SWR, EBS) actually reproduce the B string 'better' in a live situation. By 'better', I mean that you can actually hear the note and pattern being played on the B string in a busy mix.

So, to answer you question, a good 410 that is quick and efficient (like Epifani410UL and Eden10XLT or XST) might be your best bet. The larger Accugroove cabs also have amazing low end, but a very 'polite' treble response (which some people like and some people hate)
  4. Certainly some folks prefer the sound of the cabinets that you mention, but I can't say that I've ever met anyone who "hated" the sound of AccuGrooves (until now, perhaps).

If you like a flat and well-balanced sound, Acmes and AccuGrooves are very accurate down to low B. Of course, if you want a scooped and agressive sound these probably won't do it for you, as they are more like big studio monitors in terms of tonal balance. Different strokes for different folks. There are lots of other great cabinets out there so let your ears be your guide.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

To be ultra-nitpickety, the cab that *best* produces a low B fundamental is probably a dedicated subwoofer that would sound like mud unless used in a biamped system. :smug:
  6. 'Hate' was way too strong a word... sorry. :p Also, I played Acmes for a while and did think they reproduced the fundamental of the B quite well... however, that does not always equate to a good, punchy B string sound in a busy mix in a loud, live situation.
  7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    B0 is 30.87 hz. Acmes are tuned for 31hz, close enough to actually produce the fundemental...whether the overall sound works for a given situation or not is a different story.

Cabs that are tuned for a higher frequency can still give you a good sounding B because notes are more the one frequency. Even if the fundemental is rolled off or muted the note will still sound good if you have a cab that emphasizes the right overtones.
  8. Best I've heard is a pair of VL-210's by EA. Better than a bag end 18 and a Hartke 4.5xl together.

I haven't tried acme and accugroove products though. Not sure how they'd stack up.

9. +1 and very well put.... exactly what I was trying to say... just tuning a cab to reproduct the B string fundamental has very little to do (IMO) with a 'good sounding' B string. It doesn't mean they won't sound good, but too many players assume that a cab needs to roll off at or below that fundamental for the B string to sound good.
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've got to back you up here. The EA transmission line design really does work. The depth and clarity of notes that two VL-210's put out is astounding. By comparison, my Accugroove and ACME cabs sound more full across the low end, and you will hear a low B with a great deal of force, heft, and authority with either brand. A Whappo, Jr. or a pair of Low B-2's will certainly not leave you wanting in the low B department. But, all the same, two VL-210's still get more "seismic", and have tremendous low frequency clarity. The CX-310 is just about as good in this department.

11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Bag End Elf anyone?
  12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses

I haven't tried most of the other brands listed but I have no complaints with how my HT210/HT115 cabinets reproduce the sound of my Roscoe 6-string.
  13. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    IMO, it's the Carvin BRX12 or BRX10. Check out BP review.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That's the rig that works best for me!
  15. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Thats the same setup I have for my bigger gigs and it does a great job with the B-string.. :hyper:
  16. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
  17. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Recent revelation for me - the extended lows of the Acme do sound great, but if you drop them out with a high pass filter @ 50Hz, the cabs have loads more cut and will go stupidly loud. It's like the fundamentals of the lowest notes are so deep that they're prone to booming and muddying everything up.

18. Not to high-jack the thread or anything, but would avatar cabs reproduce a good B string sound?
  19. +1... filtering out some of that very low end can actually give you more 'perceived' low end and volume in the room, and the amp won't work nearly so hard!