What Cab Configuration?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dan1977, Feb 20, 2003.

1. dan1977

Feb 20, 2003
    I'm just about to buy my first bass amp, am looking at the Hartke 3500 head unless anyone knows anything better for the price? Other options were the Warwick pro fet or hughes and kettner XXL. But, i`m not sure what cab configuration to get. I was thinking either a 410 or a 115 and 210 together. I`ll be playing rock stuff in an originals band and also a Foo Fighters tribute.

Can anyone help?

2. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    that sounds like a pretty nice first bass amp.

For the cabs, i would choose a 115 and 210, but it all depends on your needs(transporting, setting up, etc)
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would definitely go with the 210 and 115, unless I could get a 410 and a single 15. I use 210 and 115, and a gallien-krueger 1001rb. I haven't tried the hartke, but I'd say try a GK if you can. Its about 750 new from musicians fiend(yes, fiend). BTW, I am jealous, My first bass amp was a guitar amp, then a 25 watt 15" combo. Good luck with it though!
  4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I would agree on checking out the GK 1001RB. Probably a little more reliable and much better customer service from what I hear. I hear the new ones and bumped up to 700 watts. Be sure to get the newer model.
    For speakers check out http://www.avatarspeakers.com
    Good quality for the price.
  5. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I have to say from what I have heard in my research of amps the results I have found show the Hartke to be a lot more reliable that the GK. I have to admit that I have no person expirience with either, but I have heard of several GKs that crapped out and needed repair. I have never heard of a Hartke that died.

Now 700 watts vs 350 would be worth looking into. I would go used, I have seen alot of good deals on bassgear and HarmonyCentral for used gear.
  6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I don't think either one is known for being the most relaible amp in the world, but from the reviews I've read about both on Harmony Central and Bass Gear Review and my own experience with GK I think GK will give better service. I may be wrong!
  7. Hey Dan,
    Here is some obvious advice that no one stated: Try out as many amps as you can in your price range. Then try your favorites in a band setting so you get an idea how they sit in the mix. If you have bass playing friends, try out their rigs and ask them what they do or don't like about them. Don't forget to evaluate your ability to get a good-sounding send to the PA or recording console! A small amp can go a long way if it has a good DI on it! I have had good luck with my old SM-400 which has a terrific tone for most styles and sounds great with my Bartolini pickups. My favorite rig for playing live is an all-tube Trace Elliot V6 with SWR Henry the 8x8, because it has a very warm sound that is great for the oldies band that I play in. If I get a call to play frettless, I always bring the SWR.