1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What cab for Hartke LH500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Roozebassguy, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Roozebassguy

Roozebassguy

Dec 16, 2011
    Hey everybody.

I am getting a new cab soon and have been looking at many different ones. I currently am using a Hartke LH500 for my head and a POS Behringer 15" cab. The Behringer has done surprisingly well for 6 years now, but it's time to upgrade, or rather has been time to upgrade since I bought the damn thing.

I gig regularly and need something that really thumps. I am in a jam band so we play many different types of music: rock, jazz, funk, reggae, bluegrass. So I'm looking for clarity, punch, with a bit of low end underneath it.

I really have been like 4x10 cabs because of the clarity they bring, but some just don't have the low end I'm looking for.

Again, playing through the Hartke LH500, so it's 350w @ 8ohms and 500w @ 4ohms. I am liking the Hydrives, not so sure about the AK's. I looked into Ampeg and a few others. Any insights on those cabs or anything else?

Thanks!

2. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    The Hydrive 410 should pair up very well with the LH500, but if you want a more vintage tone the AK 410 might serve you better. Keep in mind that both of these cabs are sealed.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Low end? Ampeg SVT 410hlf.

4. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2006
    MD suburbs
    I'm partial to the Berg NV610 myself.

5. I'm using an Avatar B212 4ohm with mine. Works great. Plenty of power lots of thump.

6. Roozebassguy

Roozebassguy

Dec 16, 2011
    I looked at the SVT 410hlf, but didnt get to play it through an LH500. Looking to go back and try it again.

I don't know anything about Avatar cabs. Any insight to that company? I've never played through 12" speakers.

Thanks for the help

7. bobalu

bobalu Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I am playing my LH500 through a Hartke AK410. I liked it so much I bought a second one (for the outdoor venues). No shortage of 'low end' or clarity and its not heavy to lug around. If I had to characterize the sound, I would say "Ampeg'ish", vintage + clarity. The best part is how well the AK410's sound with my M9 Carbine and Ashdown ABM500 heads.

Play through one if you can to try it out and compare it to the SVT's (I did).

8. I have tried both the AK410 and the 410HLF, although using different heads and at different times but with the same bass.

LH500 / AK410 sounds sweet in the low-mids and with rolled-off highs and lows. You won't get sizzling highs when popping with the AK but it will do meaty bassy sound well. Sound wide and warm. I personally won't call it punchy but I can imagine it'll do rock and reggae just fine.

I tried it with GK MB500 / 410HLF, but the HLF do generate a lot of low end. I don't quite like the mid-scoop of the HLF. It'll do *thump* well, but I doubt the punch. Especially with a mid frequency cut-only on the LH500. This one sounds deep and focused, like it'll punch through the floor.

Although, you could dime the mids and cut both highs and lows on the LH500 to produce more punch from the amp.

9. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I have been satisfied with 2 Hartke XL2x10 with my LH500

10. Tommy Nat

Tommy Nat

Feb 16, 2008
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I just matched up my hydrive 115 to an lh500 and its an awesome rig. Plenty of power, lightweight, great sound, and fairly cheap. I turn the tweeter off as well, nothing but lots of clean low end.