what cab for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skorzen, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Ok I know there have been a million of these threads, but here it is: I am looking for a new cab for about <$500 I am looking for either new or used. I was orgionally planning on getting an Avatar B410, but I am wondering if I can get something that is a bit better in this price range used. I mainly play what I guess you could call medium to moderate rock most of the time. My main desire is to get decent sound, and lots of it. A 4Ohm cab is fine as long as it can do it all. I plan on running 700@4ohms or 450@8 I want the volume to hear my self over two fairly loug guitars, no full stacks but pretty loud all the same. But I also want to get a decent tone to not just volume. ok I hope that my ranting can give you an idea of what I am looking for.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You can't beat Avatars as a great new cab value.

I'd personally go with an 8 ohm cabinet as it allows you to add another later, or a 1x15 or whatever. The volume difference won't be that noticable and your amp will run cooler...

Dave builds a strong, great sounding cabinet and takes great care of his customers...

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I second that completely.

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    not to sound like a biased broken record (which I am)...I 3rd that opinion...

5. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I have been planning on an Avatar for a while(I was planning on an 8ohm). the only thing that bugs me about them is that on the Avatar site lists the -3 at 84 hrtz. I have heard again and agian that thesee handle a low B decently, but seeing these specs make it harder to make a leap of faith.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Specs are really not the best way to judge how a cab sounds. Some Eden specs sound so good they break the laws of physics. Avatars have a 14-day trial period where you can return them for a full refund if you don't like them, so it's not too much of a risk.