Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what cab for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skorzen, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Ok I know there have been a million of these threads, but here it is: I am looking for a new cab for about <$500 I am looking for either new or used. I was orgionally planning on getting an Avatar B410, but I am wondering if I can get something that is a bit better in this price range used. I mainly play what I guess you could call medium to moderate rock most of the time. My main desire is to get decent sound, and lots of it. A 4Ohm cab is fine as long as it can do it all. I plan on running 700@4ohms or 450@8 I want the volume to hear my self over two fairly loug guitars, no full stacks but pretty loud all the same. But I also want to get a decent tone to not just volume. ok I hope that my ranting can give you an idea of what I am looking for.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You can't beat Avatars as a great new cab value.

I'd personally go with an 8 ohm cabinet as it allows you to add another later, or a 1x15 or whatever. The volume difference won't be that noticable and your amp will run cooler...

Dave builds a strong, great sounding cabinet and takes great care of his customers...

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I second that completely.

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    not to sound like a biased broken record (which I am)...I 3rd that opinion...

5. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I have been planning on an Avatar for a while(I was planning on an 8ohm). the only thing that bugs me about them is that on the Avatar site lists the -3 at 84 hrtz. I have heard again and agian that thesee handle a low B decently, but seeing these specs make it harder to make a leap of faith.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Specs are really not the best way to judge how a cab sounds. Some Eden specs sound so good they break the laws of physics. Avatars have a 14-day trial period where you can return them for a full refund if you don't like them, so it's not too much of a risk.