What cab for Mesa 400

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BadB, Aug 16, 2005.

1. BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    What cab should I get for a Mesa/Boogie Bass 400? Why?
  2. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    My Mesa 400 works a little better with my Diesel cab than my SWR or Avatar cabs.

With a different head (Ashdown MAG-300) the SWR and Avatar cabs worked far better than the Mesa Diesel, and I couldnt figure out why my Mesa cab never had the awesome tone I expected. Not sure why things worked out this way, but Mesa cabs are great for Mesa heads apparently.

I found the 400 to be a little harsh with the type of smiley bass/treble boost mid cut EQ's that I've used in the past and I ended up setting it up with a frown looking EQ to get the tone that I like. You can probable get an awesome tone from just about any cab (regardless of scoops etc) with the right tweaking.

From what I've seen TB users use everything from dark vintage sounding cabs to modern (SWR Goliath III) with this head.
  3. afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I played a 400 trough an Ampeg SVT810 once and almost crapped my pants!!! Really, I think an 810 would be great.; or an Aguilar GS412 depending on wether you like 10s o 12s.

Take care...
  4. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Or 15's Get a 2x15 cab and rumble away!
  5. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    They'l work with alot of cabs..

What sound are you after? Price range? Size? etc etc etc.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, if money's no object, i say go with an Accugroove cab. those things are like sonic velcro...
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Agreed. Great cabs. IMHO (and others vary on this point), the Whappo, Jr. sounds the best with tube heads. I don't know what it is about the Jr., but it just seems to get along the best with tube power.

The Bergantino NV line is just about perfect for tube heads (though they sound great with SS, too). I prefer the NV215 for its extended low and high range, as well as its more balanced tonal output. But the punchiness of the NV610 can be addicting, and the NV425 strikes somewhat of a middle ground.

At any rate, that would be my short list for the Mesa 400/400+.

8. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    What Tom said. The Bergantino NV series are excellent with tube heads. I love my NV610 with my Mesa 400+, and am looking forward to checking out Tom's NV215 with the same head. Both together would probably be the monster rig of all time.
  9. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    A Mesa/Boogie 2x15 Diesel cab..... perfect! :bassist:
  10. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I'd say one of mesa boogies powerhouse 1000's