1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what cab for studio and what cab for stage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bchamorro, Feb 18, 2008.

1. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    what cab do you use for recording and what cab for live shows?

Is it true that it is better to record with small cabs? So an 8x10 is not good in the studio?

also please tell me the ohms of your two cabs

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Stage: Schroeder 21012L - lightweight, very loud, mid-thump cuts through the mix well
    Studio: Direct with Line6 Bass POD xt Live (effects, preamps, amps, cabs, and mic models all in one), + dry on a separate channel, reamp if necessary

3. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I would also bypass an amp in the studio. Plenty of great pre-amps out there that I can get my tone with.

4. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Agreed. My favorite clean, dry preamp is the Demeter VTMP-2C, but there are so many great software pres out there these days, I try to keep it as clean as possible. I usually let the producer worry about it, anyway. I just play my bass :) I always bring my Line6, and we record both signals (Line6 and dry), but at least 75% of the time (unless there was a wah or something), what ends up on record is the dry signal and then the producer does his thing after I'm gone.

5. Eden Thunder Rig for stage and either the DI of the WT800C or the Avalon Pre. :)

6. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    So I must be confused?

Cabs are not really used much at the studio?

7. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI

Correct. I have only used an amp once in the studio, and only then at the insistence of the producer. I prefer to use preamps direct to the board.

8. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i love using my head and Bag End S15L in the studio! DI straight from the head, and mic the cab. it sounds killer. i refer to it as my B15 clone.
    the producer i used this setup with now calls me everytime he needs a rig for recording. he wants to borrow it. i tell him he can't, but i'd be happy to come down and play on the record:D

9. bchamorro

bchamorro

Nov 13, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    very interesting.

I don't really know much, but what are the most popular pre amps for bass in the studio?

10. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Rarely. It's not like electric guitars; bass actually sounds great/better direct.

Most popular preamps for bass in the studio... Hmm... Most common I've seen are probably Groove Tubes Brick & Viper, Avalon Ultra 5, Aguilar DB900, Demeter VTDB-2b & VTBP-201s & VTMP-2C (vocal preamp but sounds great for bass)... I've seen Radial and Line6 a lot, also, and Sansamps every so often.

11. i actually use both DI and speakers in studio and blend them. DI captures so much that speakers can't, and visa versa.

I've played so much with mics and bass recording. I love it. IME, i've never JUST used a kick mic, always an array of mics positioned in various spots.

i do not use my ampeg 810 in the studio. i use a GK RBIII combo and my carvin monoblock as a preamp together. blend the clean with the bling kids.

12. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Probably the most recorded amps in the studio are the old Ampeg fliptops and SWR's Redhead...

13. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    I always record with DI and amp. The microfone channel always gets to the final mix; the DI is for "Backup only". My sound is not at the tip of the jack; is on front of my speaker. :p

Pedro

14. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I ran into this problem recently. We were doing some recording in our practice space so I was going from my 70's V4 head (no DI) thus only had the cab mic'd. I lost so much of my tone from that mic. You can't even hear the OD from the bass, just a volume boost when it's clicked on.

For that reason I've decided to keep my country man DI in my pedal case from now on.

Edit: live i use a vintage ampeg 4x10 loaded with new eminence legends.

15. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Studio; Sony 7506
    Stage ; Any bass amp that is on stage at that moment........

16. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    I get an excellent clean, warm tone from my Sansamp RBI (the rackmount version) when recording in our studio. Haven't had the need to record a cab yet.

17. steverosati

steverosati

Apr 7, 2004
    city of Dis
    the lowend True voice is , I would have to say one of the best if not the best pre amp for stage and studio!

18. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Fixed it for ya. ;)

19. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    +1; when I have used amps, that's what they are.

Although, plug-ins are getting so good now, I've seen them less & less. When it's up to me, I like Shure KSM44, Shure Beta 52, and Royer 121s for bass cabs. I usually put the 52 right up on the cone, maybe a few inches away and halfway between the edge & center of the speaker, the ribbon mic about a foot and a half away, directly in front of the speaker, and the 44 maybe 3-4 feet away, in between both speakers (if it's a Redhead), just to pick up more of the room. That's exactly what we did for our last album, mixed with a Line6 Variax 705 bass, Line6 Bass POD xt Live, and into a Radial JDV mark III and a Demeter VTMP-2C and then into Pro Tools for further manipulation, but the producer did everything from there.

20. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I have always used a cab in the studio - the final mix is usually the mic track and very little, if any DI. I have a 1962 6G6-B Bassman setup that I used in the studio for many years, but recently purchased a B-15N primarily for this purpose. For stage it is the NV610.