Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What cab for SWR bass 350 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SIRPHYSCO1, May 8, 2004.

1. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    I recently purchased a SWR bass 350 head. it does 350watts at 4ohms and 450watts at 2ohms. what kind of cabinet would be best. could I use a 200watt 8ohm or a 400watt at 8ohms?
    some advice plz.

thanks

2. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    i've used a swr goliath 3 (700w @ 8 ohms) and a swr sob (350w @ 8 ohms) with my bass 350 and they've both sounded good, both seperately and together. either of the cabs you mentioned should work, just be careful not to crank it up with the 200w one.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A pair of 4-ohm Goliath Jr. 2x10 cabs would be very portable and get the max wattage from your head.

4. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    If you wanted to go Big, with Big Sound and have your
    350 just cruisin' along: A Henry 8x8 would be wicked.

5. ingmar

ingmar

Oct 14, 2002
    Normandy, France
    I had a Bass 350 + Goliath Junior III 8 Ohms. It sounded good but lacked power. I also had an 8 Ohm Son of Bertha with that stack, the power was decent as the whole stack was running at 4 Ohms, but I found the Son of Bertha muddy on the low end, although that might just be my taste.

In any case be sure to go down to at least 4 Ohms, the Goliath Junior III is also available in 4 Ohms for instance, or if you can get a 4x10 at 4 Ohms, that would sound even better imho!

Does the Bass350 really handle 2 Ohms well? I rememebr reading a lot of buts, ifs and warnings in my manual, but I did not have the 350x version but the older model.

If you dare look outside of SWR (I found the Foster Horns on the SWR cabs too harsh), I can only recommend Epifani & EBS cabs,

Best of luck!

6. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    yeah, now that you mention it, it says in the bass 350 manual that they recommend 4 ohms for "best performance". 2 ohms is the most inefficient for the amp, if i understand all this amp stuff correctly.

7. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    thanks guys, what about an Ampeg SVT 210 Bass Cabinet it says it handles 400w progarm and 200 RMSat 8 ohms. OR an AMPEG SVT-15EN that handles 400w at 8ohms. i dont need alot of power just small to medium. Any other suggestions? :confused:

8. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    also what would be better a 2x10 or a 1x15

9. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    sry again im new to heads and cabs but if i took two cables from the amp and put them into thet parallel on the cabinet whould that make it work at 4ohms?

10. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    no no no- that would be bad. don't do that.

11. i use a warwick 410 pro quad box (300w @ 8ohms) with my bass 350 and it works & sounds fine. recommended. :bassist:

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    There are several good & efficient Bag End cabs that should sound good with the 350:
    A pair of S15-D;
    an S15-D + S12-D;
    or a D12-D.
    [Can be found 2nd hand fairly cheap, too.]

I've heard that Joey Nahas cabs are nice as well.
    [Check with Brad Johnson.]

An Avatar B212 might work OK too (I forget how efficient they are though).

13. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Yep.

14. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    Hey thx what about if i get 2 2x10 150watt 8ohm Hartke cabinets. would that work well?

15. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Probably wouldn't be a top choice...they aren't in the same league as your amp, really, and wouldn't be so strong in the bottom end. If you go Hartke Transporter, consider a 15 and 210 instead. But there are lots of better choices...if cost is a concern, consider Avatar...good quality components and sound for the price.

16. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    hey i looked at the Avatar b212 and it looks good and also the B210. any suggestions?

17. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    If i was going for getting a B210 and a a B155 or b155h to stack but didnt want to buy them at the same time (not enough$) which should i get first?

18. I have an Avatar B212 and I would recommend it to anyone on a budget who is going the single cab route. It kicks the crap out of the Hartke Transporter series.

It has good solid clear low end (I can't comment on 5 string use).

Now here's the thing. If you're a hi-fi fan this cab will get you by but a later addition of a B210 would be recommended.

If you don't need a ton of high mids this cab is all you need.

If you go the B115 and B210 route you will need them both. I don't own a 210 but I've read countless reviews that say the low end is lacking.

I think the B115 is great for low end but thats it.

You know, the more I think about it the more I realize the B212 might satisfy hi-fi users as well. I tend to cut the tweeter back to 8 o'clock but if you turn it up there is high end for days.

19. SIRPHYSCO1

SIRPHYSCO1

May 8, 2004
    C-ville,VA
    So if I get a B212 what ohm rating should I get? 4 or 8?

20. Since I suffer from some back problems, I decided to go with something that my friends wont mind giving me a help carrying, and that would sound loud and nice. I am currently using it with an eden 2x10 xlt 4 ohms, I got a 5 string bass and I can assured you that thing is loud and warm, it reproduces the low be without any problem, and has volume to spare. You cant go wrong with that combination. :D