1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What cab goes on top?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panaran, Apr 3, 2009.

1. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    [​IMG]

Here's my rig. I was just curious, should I put the 410 on the bottom? I just stacked it this way because the 212 was SLIGHTLY bigger than the 410, but if I switched it, the 410 could support the 212 fine.

I was playing around with both cabs and to me, the 410 produces more low frequencies that the crowd can "feel", whereas the 212 just shoots it out over the crowd more. Do you guys think I would be better off with the 212 on top of the 410? Would it make much of a difference at all?

I tried searching but didnt come up with anything.

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i don't think that it would make that much difference. if it were me, i would put the cab that i liked the sound of better on top since its closer to ear level (for my own monitoring).

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Try it both ways and use the configuration that YOU like best. QED

Paul

4. The *man* cab, of course. :)
    KIDDING- I am NOT gender/orientation/whatEVER-bashing.
    Seriously, few non-bass players will perceive any difference. I go by aesthetics, but I won't claim there is or isn't a difference; just that few notice/care/think about these things(again- other than bass players :D).

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    +1

6. Yeah, low freq's are omni-directional so its all about whether you want to hear more of twelves or tens.

7. +2

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    1=2= and then some. Me, I'd just keep the bigger one on the bottom for stability.

9. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    The 2x12 will have better horizontal dispersion in the midrange region, so my first instinct would be to place it on top. And if the 4X10 does deep bass better, then we might want it to be the one to benefit the most from boundary reinforcement by being on the bottom.

That being said, I'll also +1 BassmanPaul's post.

10. panaran

panaran

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah that was my exact reasoning. I think the 410 does have a little more bass where as the 212 has more of the sound i want to project...pretty much no brainer for me, i just dont feel like making the switch haha.