What cab is the best?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brandonwhite, Jan 3, 2002.

1. brandonwhite

Jan 2, 2002
    I need your guys help. I am looking for a cab to use on stage at gigs and I really don't understand all the technical numbers and stuff that are involved. All I know is that I want a 4x10 and maybe another 4x10 or a 1x15 to go under it. I really don't have a reason other than I think it looks cool. :D SO, my question is what is the best cab out there. Money isn't really an issue, but obviously I don't want to spend more than I need too. Thank you for your help.
  2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Eden xlt 4x10. Loud,good sound, affordable.
  3. AaPee

Apr 30, 2001
    Finland, Hankasalmi
    SWR Goliath, Acme B4, Hevos 4x10", Glock... Glo... lang... what ever that Made in Germany...;)

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There is no simple answer.

What kind of music do you play? What kind of sound do you like? What amp head will you use? How will you transport this cabinet?

Once you have decided all this you then should try everything in your price range and make your own decision based on your ears.
  5. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    There are lots of good cabs play through some and see which one you like

Ampeg, SWR, Mesa, Glockenlang, Epifani, GK, Peavey, Hartke, the list goes on...
  6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Best cab out there is the one I own. Even if you went out and bought exactly the same one it won't be as good because it would be yours and therefore not the best. :D

As the previous posters said it depends on what you like in terms of sound.
  7. Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    I just bought an SWR cabinet. My other options were Mesa-Boggie and Ampeg. I wasn't crazy about the Mesa-Boggie at all. The Ampeg was nice but the SWR had a thicker, fuller, and more penatrating sound. SWRs are also nice and light and compact, making them easy to move around. There not all that expenzive either.
  8. brandonwhite

Jan 2, 2002

I already own a swr working man 15 combo. I love it and everytime I record or do gigs the sound man says he loves it because it gives them more options to work with. I have only been playing bass for 2 years but only serious for about 1. SO, I don't know that much about amps and stuff, that's why i'm asking. But you are right, swr is awesome and I would LOVE to have the 'Mo Bass head.
  9. Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    I was actually surprised at how much I liked the SWRs, (I've got a Son of Bertha). I definately like the Ampeg tone, and I've never liked any of the SWR amps I've tried. But for some reason, I just loved their cabinets.