What cab now?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tom dicus, Sep 11, 2018.

1. mbelue

mbelue Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2010
    Yes!
    Lose the Acoustic keep the peavey.

2. Sell the Acoustic, and find yourself a used SVT810E and be done with it.

They can go for a little as 50% of retail (and maybe even less!).

SCORE ONE for the good guys all the way 'round!

Maxfenderbass likes this.
  3. ^THIS. People can't give these away!

basscapes likes this.
  4. That's why they are so cheap. I think that so many people bought one, seeing them out there and thinking that it will "instantly transform their playing" when in reality, they weren't that hot a player to begin with!

I'm always on the passive hunt for another one to give me that magic number of 2 cabs (cash on hand depending, of course).

mbelue likes this.
  5. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    A used Ampeg 810 is the way to go. Look on CL. (Just be sure it's plywood, not OSB)
    They go cheap. Maybe trade in on a used one @ GC?

basscapes and mbelue like this.
  6. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    In response to your original question, yes, the Acoustic should be totally fine.

Helix likes this.
  7. tom dicus

tom dicus Supporting Member

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    Thank you. They are brand new and sound good with my VB2. I am very partial to 15's though because of my Fender Rumble 200 combo and the 115 extension cab. I haven't got the head yet as it is in transit from Dallas and I'm in Alaska. It could take a bit. As soon as it gets here, I would like to post bragging pictures of it! Of course, every one on TB knows what an Ampeg SVT looks like!

S-Bigbottom and johnson79 like this.
  8. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I'd play through your different speaker options and use whatever sounds best to you.

For the HPF/LPF thing, I always have a HPF on my computer interface to protect my speakers and headphones. I usually only play out with my HPF when using a woofey bass like my SG. Though I've considered buying a Broughton Low+HPF to always use on my gigs.

I do have an unnatural fear of using pedals. Not due to ease of use but because I already spend too much money on bass gear

Either way enjoy that beastly new amp! I'm sure something you currently have will work great. You can always upgrade down the road.

Stumbo and mbelue like this.
  9. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Literally laughed out loud when I read this:roflmao:
    I move to suggest all HPF's be branded as "Stumbo Endorsed" from now, into eternity.

JimmyM, mbelue and Stumbo like this.
  10. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Classic @Stumbo

Don't confuse the poor fellow. Let him enjoy his new amp in peace for at least a couple weeks. ;)

mbelue and Stumbo like this.
  11. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    3 weeks, tops! :laugh:

mbelue likes this.
  12. tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    Too late, I'm easy to confuse! I mean, I was born good lookin', not smart!

Helix and Stumbo like this.
  13. Make sure ypu listen for speaker farts if you got ‘m, turn it down a notch.

JimmyM likes this.
  14. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Tom, IMO, you just bought the best sounding amp on planet Earth! :thumbsup:

Of all the amps I have owned since the early 70's, the SVT-VR was hands down the best sounding amp I have ever owned. The only reason I sold it was, at my age (62), I had too much difficulty schlepping it. But that tone (and feel) was da bomb! :)

15. tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    I'm certainly happy to hear that. I'm 55, and I've wanted one for as long as I can remember. But I wanted a USA built Ampeg so it took a while. I suppose I won't be lugging it around though, its 80 pounds!!!!

SactoBass likes this.
  16. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Nice!!! The SVT-VR that I had was a USA version as well. It's a great amp! :thumbsup:

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021