What cab(s) do you recommend with an Ampeg SVT 7 Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cm3ohana, Aug 25, 2013.

1. cm3ohana

cm3ohana Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2005
    So, I've been researching this on TB and have narrowed down my choices but would like some advice/help for my specific situation. I play praise and worship in the style of Chris Tomlin, Jesus Culture, etc. A popular live setup seems to be the classic Ampeg tone with and SVT head an 8x10 fridge. Of course they are going thru FOH but nonetheless it's Ampeg. Currently I use an SWR or Markbass LMIII with TC RS210 and/or RS112. There's a great deal on an SVT 7 Pro so I'm thinking about trading in or selling my current rig and going Ampeg. So, here's the question. I'm older and dont want to or more like cant haul around a fridge. So, I was thinking two 1x12's or two 2x10's. I don't have a lot to spend on the cabs so wondered what you thought might work to give me 1) a classic Ampeg tone and 2) provide the most volume. Which configuration and which cabs. Willing to go used and not spend more than $700 for both cabs. Portability and weight are critical. Thanks for your help.

2. I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand 7 pro. Love the amp but lotsa probs & no transferable warranty.
    Buy a new one or a different 2nd hand amp.

3. If I was looking at an SVT 7-pro used, I would also be looking at used cabs.

4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I recently did a gig with another band and used their bass player's 7 Pro. It sounded good but I like my 6 Pro better. As far as cabs are concerned, I usually run 2 SVT 410HE bottoms. They are available in 4 and 8 ohm versions so if you decided to get multiple cabs, check the impedance of both and make sure the head can handle the load.

5. cm3ohana

Aug 1, 2005
    Thanks for the warning about the 7 Pro. I've read the TB threads about problems with the 7 Pro. It's been hit and miss. Call me naive but I've found most people have been honest when I've purchased used equipment. Nearly everything I have is used and still working great. I tend to ask a lot of questions, test it and make a decision to purchase or not. Let's assume I buy a 7 Pro (new or used), what would you recommend as cabs that are 1) light weight, 2) high volume, 3) Ampeg tone and 4) less than $700 for the pair. I'm definitely looking at used unless there's something new you recommend.

6. I thought my SVT7PRO sounded great with one or two RS212s (although with one, I had to turn the head sideways - inconvenient) so that could give a good indication of two RS210s. Adding an RS210 to what you have might be a good way to go.

Gotta agree thought that there wouldn't be much that'd make me consider buying a used one...aside for a two for the price of one deal.

I sold mine in December after having it for 6 months. The guy who bought it contacted me recently and the amp went up, apparently during a gig. Fortunately I had a circumstance that allowed me to pass the warranty on. Most any situation, you're going to be without a warranty.

FWIW and IME, while both can go places the other can't, the RH750 and 7PRO can sound very similar in terms of middle-of-the-road sound. From reading other opinions here, the same is apparently true of the Genz Benz Streamliner 900 (popular and reportedly reliable). Any of them can easily take pretty much any pair of 210s or 112s up to and past their volume limits.

7. cm3ohana

Aug 1, 2005
    Ok, seems like I may be making a bad decision to get a used 7 Pro.....?

8. Yep Get a new one. Cabs... I used a Bergantino AE410 & AE 212 (not at the same time) the 410 is a punchy beast. handles a lot of power.
    For that price tho.. Avatar or GK neo 212 or 410

9. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Before I got my 7 Pro I was using several different flavors of 1x15 cabs (EAW, Bag End, Epifani), singley and in pairs, and usually with an LMIII. In general the I liked the sound of the LMIII with 15's; at least with these 15's.

When I got the 7 Pro, I wasn't as happy. Tried a few different 2x10s (Epifani and Bergantino) and they seemed a better match. That's what I run currently.

/rick

10. bassguy72

bassguy72

Sep 7, 2011
    I'm running mine thru the pro neo cabs....sounds really good

11. cm3ohana

Aug 1, 2005
    Thank you all for your input. I'm gonna stick with my Markbass LMIII and my RS210. I think I'll trade or sell my RS112 and get another RS210 and call it a day. I can use my LMIII with my VT Deluxe to get close to an Ampeg tone (that's what I do today) and get more volume and maybe a little more low end by adding a second RS210.

12. cm3ohana

Aug 1, 2005
    I'm moving on....RS112 up for sale or trade now....thanks again everyone for bringing me back to reality....

13. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I run mine through and ampeg 810 cab

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021