Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What cab(s) should I choose for this head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MatW, Jan 20, 2003.

1. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Hi,

After playing some Ashdown gear recently, I've bought an Ashdown ABM300 EVO head. This puts out 320W RMS/600W Peak at 4 Ohms. I bought the amp first, with the intention of buying the cab at a later date but I'm unsure what to go for. I'm staying with Ashdown, and they produce a 'mini' line of cabs, which really suits my needs but I'm confused on the whole Watts/Ohms thing. I've read many old posts on the subject, but I still don't get it.

The cabs readily available to me are:

600W - 4*8" - 8 Ohms
    300W - 1*15" - 8 Ohms
    200W - 1*12" with tweeter - 8 Ohms

I intially just want the one, but perhaps I could buy another cabinet in the near future if this is required. I play a lot of funk so I want to be heard, but I'd like some bottom end too.

What are your suggestions?

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've got an Ashdown Mag-250 head and mini 1x15 cab which work well for me. I did try the mini 4x8 but felt it was a bit on the harsh side on its own (although it is currently top of the 'extension cabs to consider if I need to get louder' list).

I'm pretty sure the 1x15 will work with your head, although I'd hesitate about running the volume all the way up.

What are you using the head with at the moment? What kind of gigs / practises are you doing?

Wulf

3. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    At the moment I'm using a Trace Elliot combo. I tried a few Ashdowns and I liked the sound so I've took the plunge and bought the head without trying it though any cabs yet.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Are you able to use the new head through the Trace combo?

You can hear my Ashdown head / cab on the recordings from my band website:

http://www.lovesjones.com/music.php

Wulf

5. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    1x15" for the beggining