Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What cab to get for my DB750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thehurlatron, Jan 19, 2006.

Which cab for a DB750

Poll closed Feb 18, 2006.
  1. Epifani T-410

5.6%
  2. Ampeg 410HLF

9.3%
  3. Aguilar GS410

16.7%
  4. Bergantino HT322

14.8%
  5. EBS 410

7.4%
  6. Schroeder 410

11.1%
  7. Schroeder 21012

14.8%
  8. Schroeder 310212

18.5%
  9. Other (please list reasons)

14.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I am currently using an aguilar DB750 into a euphonic audio vl-210 for live shows. When I have PA support, it is good for what I need, but most of the time I have none.
    As a standalone, it doesn't fare so well. I've been told by a few of you that they are not a good combo for eachother.

SO......Please give me some pro's and cons of the selections above, and real world experience if you have any with this head and any of these cabs.

I play funk/rock, reggae"ish", and 311"ish" music. I slap only about 10% of the time. I like a semi-hifi sound, lots of bottom, snappy top, and a handfull of mids.
    I play a warwick streamer STII 5, a thumb 5, and a musicman sterling 4.
    When I use a standalone for my sound, it's usually a medium to large sized room. I play up against a "at times" loud drummer, 1 electric, 1 accustic, and sometimes some keys.

Thanks for the input.

2. i voted for the ampeg baseed soley on the fact that i own and love it not quite sure if it is best for that particular application

3. sparrow

sparrow

May 26, 2005
    Belgium
    i believe a GS2x12 would sound nice for rock/reggae, don't know for funk...

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Berg NV series. The 322 is an excellent cab, but I looooove my 750 through my NV425.

5. Bergs are awesome. Check the BP review on the HT322. Sounds like the right match for what you need.

6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I didn't vote as I haven't used enough of these cabs to justify me spouting of an opinion. From what you said on your earlier thread (no punch with your current set up), you might want to look into a sealed cab.

7. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Ampeg all the way, it'll make that Streamer of yours sound the way it should...

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I voted HT322, which would be great IMHO, but I would also suggest the NV215. Flat out awesome cab.

Tom.

9. The EA vl-210 is a sealed cab. It is punchy alone and at practice volumes, but in a gig situation using it for a standalone, it doesn't "throw" the punch into the room. In a medium sized room, I was lost with just a 210.
    I'd like to add more speakers, but keep my head, I don't want to HAVE TO add another power amp.

10. The EA VL is ported, using a transmission line design. The port runs vertically on the right side of the cab. Both the Berg and the larger Schroeders would sound awesome with that head. The Schroe's would be louder and extremely punchy. The Berg would probably have more absolute low end, but not be quite as loud.

11. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    As a current EA owner who recently had the chance to play through a variety of Schroeders, the 410 is one heck of a punchy, thump you in the chest cabinet.
    With a 1400w rating on the original and 1200w on the new light version, it should take all the power from your 750 and then some.
    It's not as "hi-fi" as the EA cabs but has a very clear and articulate tone with a stronger mid presence than my EA CXL112s. The Berg 322 is another great cab that I think has a little smoother tone. It is a heavy beast though! 98lbs.
    I've played through EA, SWR, Aguilar, Eden and a few others and I'm really considering jumping on the Schroeder band wagon. Especially now that they're available with neo drivers.
    With a Schroeder light, your cab and head would weigh about the same!

12. My bad. Everyone point and laugh at thehurlatron.:bawl:

Thanks for setting me straight. I honestly didn't know it was ported. Even at high volumes, I don't feel much air moving. (as compared to my ampeg BXT210M, that thing blows some air)

13. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    Get one of the Bergantino NV series. Any of them. I love my 610 with my DB750. Huge sounding but still easy to move and not muddy at all. They rule for the finger funk or reggae vibe, but not great for slapping unless it is a Michelle N'degeOcello/Stuart Zender style.

14. I totally agree with this....I love the vibe I have with my 750/610.......But, to me it sounds like you may be leaning a little more toward an NV215...it extends both a bit higher and a bit lower and will sound deeper for a Reggaish thump. I don't know if Tombowlus has compared the 3 (I think he has) but maybe he could chime in here and describe the differences between the 3 as I have not heard the 425 at all...I was very impressed by the 215 and have almost convinced myself to track one down before they are all gone!! I like the extra punch that I get from the 610 and prefer it slightly over the 215 for the gig I am doing now. I was not as knocked out by the HT322 (but still thought it was better than a LOT of other cabs out there!!) as I was by the HT112/EX112 Mini stack when I played the Bergantino line a little over a year ago. I wound up with the mini stack and still say the HT112 is probably the overall best single 12 cab I have ever used. Hope that helps!

Peace,

T

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    + 3 meelion

a pair of GS112's would rock, too. easy to carry as wel.

but that HT322 is looking me square in the face saying, "how could you?"

16. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Okay, pal... you asked, so I'm giving... :D

I voted "other." While you listed the Berg HT322, and I must assume that this product is a fine cabinet on its own, I say you gotta go with anyone of Bergantino's NV Series... if there are any left!

I, too, am a very satisfied owner of a DB750. This is nothing but an astounding amplifier... just ask me! ;) However... I also own two... did I say TWO (2)? NV Series cabinets: an NV215 and an NV425. So, my Big Daddy Aggie has the task of pushing... get this... 3 x 15's and 3 x 10's, but let's not forget that cute little six-incher inside of the NV215... :hyper:

Practically speaking, I now use the NV425 for most gigs, 'cuz the venues are kinda small, and this cab just seems to 'do it all'; however, there are opportunities when I get to bust out both cabs... thus pushing the Big Daddy Aggie at 2 Ohms... and everyone suddenly realizes that King Kong just made known his presence! :bag:

If you can still find one... get either the NV215, or the NV425 for your DB750. Many TBers have expressed similar opinions... Good Luck! :D

17. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Accugroove Whoopo Jr which I switched from a VL 210B also.
    A nice cabinet with great bottom and mid range. Light too.
    Got alot of bad talk lately (regarding the accuswitch) but all in all a great bottom. I feel this would be up your alley as to what you are looking for.

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The NV610 is the punch/cut machine. The NV215 has super deep/tight lows, more balanced midrange, and a beautiful smooth "high end" that sounds quite a bit more bright than the 610 or 425, but not as sparkley as a tweeter-equipped cab. The 425 combines a low end that is close, but not quite as seismic, as that of the 215, and mids/highs that are similar to that of the 610, but not quite as punchy. It's a bit more tonally balanced, too.

Of the three, I find the NV215 to be the most versatile, and the NV610 to be the true "new vintage" sound. The 425 gets you a similar sound, but with enhanced low end.

Get 'em while you can, boys!

Tom.

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Whappo, Jr. is my favorite of the Accugroove products, for sure. Definitely an excellent cab.

Tom.

20. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Yeah, the Whappo, Jr. is what I use with my 750. Huge sound on the bottom end, but not flabby in any way, with lots of definition. If you can get over the switch stuff, then you should definitely consider it.