1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Cab to Match My LMK II?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass_Machine, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Hiya guys.

I'm now purchasing a LMK II head as the beginnings of my exiting the world of combo amps. However, I'm having some trouble choosing what cab to match this gorgeous amp.

Can you help, O learned ones of the talkbass amp forum?

Here are some considerations:

I play in a pub rock covers band at the moment, so something that can cut through two guitarists, a drummer and a keyboard and be heard in mid sized venues is needed.

I also play in a jazz band, and in a funk/rock originals band, so something that would be suitable for those situations as well would be ideal.

I'd quite like one of those punchy, warm tones that you often hear with these more modern jazz groups. (Think Tony Grey from Hiromi's band et al) My tone would need to be punchy on occasions and smooth on occasions (for solo work), but always warm.

Cash: I have (after dropping a fair bit on the LMK II itself) about £500, roughly $975, to spend; so the cab must be less than $975. It is both possible and very likely that I could get a cab now to do me for a while, and then later purchase another cab to add to my sound.

Specs: I have no idea how all this stuff with ohms and impedance works, but I'm obviously looking for something that matches the LMK II in terms of all the electronics.

I've seen a pair of SWR Bigfoot 2x12 cabs selling combined for £500, and I was tempted, but I'm not sure if they're compatible or how they would sound. I've head there can be issues with the sound of a 2x12. Perhaps buy a Bigfoot, and spend the remaining money on another (much cheaper) cab to go with it?

Thanks,

Hector

2. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ive just got a Markbass Traveller 151P for £450. not gigged it yet but it sounds really nice. its warm but punchy. not sure its up to funk though.
    I also have a 4ohms Schroeder 1210 that although not the warmest cab by a long shot does really cut through a loud mix. ive recently started to back some of the low mid off and it does get warmer and rounder sounding. Plus it gives me the full 500watts out of my MB SA450 head.

3. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
  4. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    Try the Markbass Traveler 102P. Punchy, thick, and loud. And a good price too. And very light.

5. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    Do a search , this comes up every day , there is a lot of useful information on the forum !
    I tage for granted you have PA on your gigs ?
    Anyway , i think the 102P is to small for the situations you playing in , i would suggest one of the Markbass 104 , HR or HF.
    very punchy still a lot of warm low end , and extremely light for load in night after night.
    Though , they may be a little more expensive in UK , maybe a 100 more or something.
    If you dont want something that big , consider the 102HF. Great punch for a small cab , yet full sounding and louder then the 102P.

6. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Thanks for the help so far guys. :)

Can anyone else contribute any suggestions?

Is anyone able to explain to me how I can work out what cabs and combinations of cabs I can use with my head?

7. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    The LMK 2 has minimum 4OHM load , so if you want to use 2 speakers make sure they are 8ohm each, not 4.

8. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    4 ohm Mark Bass 104HR, cutts like hell. Don`t know the US price though.

9. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Hey , have anyone tried the GK NEOS 112 with the LM yet ?
    The 104HR is to bulky for me ... :(