Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What cab to use w/ SVT-2 Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassBoyLeroy, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Hey guys. I recently came upon an SVT-2 Pro, and I'm currently searching for a cab. I was thinking of picking up a 610hlf, a 410hlf or possibly even a Goliath Sr. Which of these cabs would work best for a 3 (possibly becoming 4) piece punk band a la Bigwig, NoFx, Bad Religion, etc.? I play an MIM Jazz Bass, and money is not a concern below $1000. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Pat

2. An 810 cab would work best with an SVT II Pro.

3. I agree with this.

But at the same time, an advantage of being in a punk band is that it doesn't really matter, right?

4. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I´d get the 6x10, nice cab and more portable than the 8x10

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Does the SVT Pro II need a particular impedance load (like 4 ohms) or does it have an impedance selector like the SVT-CL?

If you're locked into using one or two 4 ohm cabinets (like the '73 SVT head I had was), make sure that you stick to 4 ohm cabs (which all the ones that you listed, and the SVT810, are).

The 610 HLF has stronger lows than the 810 (or the 410HLF in my opinion but the ratings would suggest differently). My brief encouter with a Goliath Sr. left me surprised that it was lacking in lows.

Any tweeter equipped cabinet can have stronger high end.

What kind of sound are you looking for?

6. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    One more vote for an SVT 8x10. Or, if you can scrounge up another $50 or so... I am going to say get an Aguilar GS412. I got mine for $979 + tax, but they usually go for about $999 + shipping (Basspalace quoted me $1080 total, shipped). Great cabinet, handles everything you throw at it!

7. Hey, thanks for all the input! Right now at Bass NW they have an 810 for $699, which I was looking at with some interest. But, I'm a bit discouraged because of the size (not that the 610hlf weighs that much less from what I recall). FWIW, I'm going for lots of bass and mids with not as much highs. I was also thinking about getting to 8 ohm Avatar 2x12's. Any comments about this choice? Thanks again for all the help.

Pat

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    There's a nice thread going about the Avatar B212 with Delta 12LFs right now. Dave also offers it with Kappas but the Deltas would be better for low end...

I happened to pull out my SWR catalog this afternoon and saw that SWR claims a -3dB point of the Goliath Sr of 55 Hz. This confirms my suspiction about subdued low end (the Goliath III's -3dB point is 40 Hz).

While Bass NW is a great store (I've visited there twice while in the Pacific NW) I find their used gear prices a bit high. If the cabinet has to be shipped, Seattle is about the most expensive point in the nation to ship to (from my midwestern perspective).

I saw a nice one at a Milwaukee, WI area store for $599. I sold mine on eBay a year ago and got just over $500.