1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what cab to use with ampeg svt15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Noose, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Noose

Noose

Nov 19, 2010
    Looking for your suggestions on a second cab to go along with an Ampeg SVT-15e. I know the simple answer is get a matching cab. I assure you I would if I could find/afford one.

Here is my situation: I use a Kustom Groovebass 410h for live gigs. It is plenty loud, it's as solid as any cab Ive ever owned and im not unhappy with the sound, but it's heaviest 410 Ive ever seen. For what it weighs, i might as well be carrying around an 810. I want to be able to throw my rig in the back seat of the wife's Honda for out of town gigs.

The head Im using is a Peavey Tour 700. 500 watts into 8 ohms, 700 watts into 4 ohms.

I recently accidentally wound up with an ampeg svt-15e in a trade deal. I thought I would just use it as a practice cab or for gigs with quieter drummers/guitarists. Turns out, I LOVE the sound of the ampeg svt cab. Its just not loud enough for me. So Im wanting to add another 15", that way i can just take one for small gigs, both for when i need more firepower.

But I cant find another ampeg svt-15 cab anywhere near me on the used market. I cant afford to buy new at this point. ideally im going to trade the Kustom monster or sell it to finance the second cab.

So, what Im asking is, if I cant come up with a second ampeg 15, are there any other cabs that you might suggest that would work reasonably well with the ampeg 15 that i should consider trying? Again, if a second ampeg svt 15 pops up close by that I can get, I will do that, but if not, Im hoping I can find a decent plan B.

Thanks for your input. :bassist:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The only way to know for sure how 2 mismatched cabs will sound is, to play them. That's why the suggestions for matched cabs always say it's a crapshoot any other way. I'd expand the search, and find that SVT15e. It's not an expensive cab, and there are plenty out there.

3. Tried Amazon?

4. Check the used inventory for the whole country on Guitar Centers site.

They will ship it from anywhere to you, or if you choose, to their closest store.

5. I found a second svt15e'n', to use with my first svt15e at the used gear store "Music go Round", and I love having two 15's with my 100 watt V4BH head, makes it quite a bit louder and adds to the big-amp image. But prior to finding the 2nd one, I was pairing the ampeg cab with my other 1-15, an SWR Son Of Bertha, also an 8 ohm cab.
    The SOB has a very similar sound to the svt15e, mid-rangey, tight lows. It has a tweeter but you can dial it down to zero if you like. And a shelf port rather than twin tubes. Both have Eminence drivers, the SOB is rated at 350 watts and you can drive it pretty hard, heavier magnet, 60 lb cab vs. 56 for the Ampeg.
    While they are very different cabs in appearance, they DO sound good together.
    I know you didn't ask this, but if I were driving 2-15's with a more powerful amp, such as an SVT, I would take the SWR's, I believe they are more versatile and will take more abuse.

6. Noose

Noose

Nov 19, 2010
    Will add the SWRs to list of possibilties. Thanks