1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What cab works best with multi-FX?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LaquerFunkMonk, Apr 21, 2006.

1. LaquerFunkMonk

LaquerFunkMonk

Mar 23, 2006
    Florida
    is there a specific cab that complements a multi-FX unit like the Basspod XT live that reproduces the exact tone you dial in with clarity and without killing ure volume?

I have an SVT3pro and a PR410HLF cab.

are non-ported cabs better than ported cabs in this case?

I read the SWR catalog and it said that the Megoliath 8x10 works great with FX, and i think it's ported in the back.

Any suggestions? Acugroove? SWR henry 8x8? Bergantino 6x10, ampeg 810e?......Im thinkin SWR is my solution, even though i heard they sound too bright.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It doesn't matter too much if its ported or not. It doesn't matter if the cat is black or white as long as it catches the mouse. I would look into Acme cabs, but I think you are going to need more power than your current head. You may want to run the FX straight into a big poweramp rather than into the 3-Pro, which would add coloration. EA cabs, Acme cabs, and Accugroove cabs are known for their transparency, and the Bergantino HT series would also be great, especially the 322. Aguilar cabs are also fairly transparent. The only SWR cab I would classify as anything close to transparent is the 8x8. The other cabs are all extremely scooped tone.

3. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I haven't tried the basspod, but my experience with digital multi effects and "dial the kit you want" features is not so great. I tried many line 6 products, as well as other modeling equiped amps, and found that they were nice toys, IMO, but seriously lacked in true tone shapping to get the supposed sound you dialled. Personally, I woulden't use these products as my MAIN kit, but maybee for ocasionnal coloring on certain songs, but this is just an opinion.

4. I think your cab plays a huge role in how your effects sound, especially fuzz/OD effects. I recently upgraded from a combo with a single 15" to an Omni 12 and the difference is like night & day in almost all respects. But, specifically regarding effects, the O12 has made me completely reconsider a lot of the effect pedals I have because it is truely a "full-range" cab that is capable of reproducing every nuance that a given effect can create. I used to think my bass angler was just ok. Now I'm loving it! If you want to get the most out of your effects, I think you should consider a cab with a wide frequency response.

~ Charlie

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
  6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I'm looking into this myself currently and if things go as I intend, I plan on getting a JBL JRX125 to go with a Podxt Live

7. LaquerFunkMonk

LaquerFunkMonk

Mar 23, 2006
    Florida
    Thanx SnoMan....let us know how it goes with youre BassPodXT Live.

8. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    All this says to me is SWR has identified FX users as a market segment worth targeting. ;)

As to your question, since effects often make dramatic changes to your tone from one stomp to another the wide response full range thing does make a lot of sense since you might want to go from dub to fuzz in one box. But on the other hand a narrow range cabinet can tame a fuzz and keep a dub tone from getting too boomy. Once again, it's all down to taste... and budget... and how strong you are...

9. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Just ordered my JBL today. If it's in for my show next friday, I'll be a happy boy (and I'll need it for an outdoor show saturday more than anything).

Haven't ordered the line 6 gear yet, but I'll be sure to update once I get that into my posession.